CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

lowering my 954

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 04:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering my 954

sitting stock as is, i'm can just manage to touch my toes at stops...what all would it take to lower my 954 an inch or so? and where should i get the parts and how much am i lookin at spendin?

Old 12-20-2005, 11:46 AM
Default RE: lowering my 954

Well in all honesty it would be a better idea to keep it the stock height. Im 5'5", so I am vertically challenged and I dont have any problems with being able to keep the bike up just on tips, or leaning to one side more than the other. I had considered it at one time but saw flaws in lowering. Lowering might look good or for our cases give a better access to the ground given height of the bike, but consider the ramifications of changing ride height. Honda engineers found the height of the bike optimal for use in street riding for many reasons. Danger lies in the variations of road surfaces, debris on the roadways, and other considerations to the elements we as riders face daily. Now consider when leaning into turns that you have cut the height in which your motorcycle skims across the tarmac, think that if you are able to get into a turn at say "on the edge" curb angles lets say 45 or 50 degree angles can you say that reducing ride height wouldnt make the underneath of your bike to impact the bottom on the pavement while in corners? Would you want to track your bike when you skim the tarmac in those corners? When lowering your motorcycle you alse change suspension charcteristics to a point where they could need to be readjusted given your specific riding conditions. Trial and error come into play, "error" being the main consideration. In my opinion(and thats all it is) it is not worth lowering the motorcycle given the adverse effects that could come from changing ride height. Just something to consider. I deal with the height issues and have grown comfortable in my riding style.

If someone sees fault in my assesment lease let me kn ow so I can consider all angles in the discussion.

Old 12-20-2005, 03:27 PM
Registered Users

Depends what you want to do with your bike. Is it for street or track? If it's for the track, then lowering it might negatively affect extremely agressive leaning in the corners. If it's for street, I can only say from experience with my F4i, lowering my bike one inch has improved the overall handling--more responsive on the turns definitely. I can still lean into corners, and I've hit a few knee drags, but it cuts a little close for my pegs. At 5'6", I sat comfortably on the F4i in its stock form, but lowered, I'm sitting flat footed with a slight bend in the knee.

As for cost, it didn't cost me anything. My cousin works on bikes and all he did was adjust my rear suspension and lower the handlebars on the front forks. He accomplished the task in about a half hour.

Good luck.

Old 12-22-2005, 05:00 AM

i mainly want to lower it because i feel semi wobbly at stops, and if having a passenger on the back, i want to feel stable. needs to be lowered maybe a half inch or so. my riding style is not very aggressive, so the mild change in suspension shouldnt be TOO big of a deal i dont think...cost-wise what does it usually cost to do?

Old 12-24-2005, 02:13 AM

I lowered mine and love it. I change the ride height around for various situations. I do like it a bit lower on the street. On the race track I would only go 1". If you want a set go to www.citadelmotorsports.com that is where mine came from. Bike setup is a personal thing and if you are not happy make changes, riding should only be fun.

Old 12-24-2005, 11:53 AM
Registered Users

Like I said...didn't cost me a thing, but taking it to a reputable shop to get lowered shouldn't run you more than $150 (parts included, if necessary). I ride with a passenger sometimes and she's about 135 lbs. Since my bike is lowered, the only thing is we have to stand up on the pegs at the same time when I go over speed bumps. Other than that, very smooth and stable ride...much more stable than without a passenger actually, but I take that as the added weight on the rear wheel. Good luck