CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Lowering CBR?

Old 04-08-2012, 01:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Lowering CBR?

I've known from the beginning but this bike's way too tall for me. I'm on my tippy toes if I try to keep both feet on the ground. Definitely not safe. I've sadly, dropped the bike 3 times at sketchy stops. I really need to lower this bike an inch or two! Any suggestions? I see lowering links for the F2 but man, $100 for a lowering link?? I see one used for $50 which has settings for a 1" drop and a 3" drop. It says its compatible with the f2, f3, f4/f4i. If this is true, then couldn't I just buy a f4i lowering link for only $29?

Old 04-08-2012, 02:07 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Maybe hit up romanboy. Hes got an f4i that is lowered and he wants to raise it back up. Hed probably trade...

Old 04-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Default Lowering Link compatibility issues

Anyone know if the f4i lowering links are compatible with the f2? I've seen lowering links that are compatible with almost all the 600's, even the blackbird. I know that the one piece lowering links are compatible within all the models. but the two piece, cheaper $30 lowering link for the f4...do you guys know if it's compatible with my F2? Help is MUCH appreciated.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IF you are a very lightweight individual, and IF it did not affect the handling for you negatively, you could take out some spring preload, front and rear, which would essentially lower the ride height a little, once your sit on the bike.

It's possible, that the previous owner did something to raise the bike, if they added a LOT of preload, front and/or rear, you could maybe dial it back some - how tall are you, and what is your inseam? For reference, my inseam in jeans varies from 30 to 32, depending on brand, and I am pretty much flat-footed when on the bike.

Also, the previous owner could have installed a different shock, to raise the rear ride height - some riders want to the change the geometry for quicker steering, and install the shock from the F4, I believe, which, if I remember correctly, raises the rear 1 1/2 inch or more - if your shock isn't F2 stock, then putting one on would possibly bring the rear down a bit, depending on what's already there.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
IF you are a very lightweight individual, and IF it did not affect the handling for you negatively, you could take out some spring preload, front and rear, which would essentially lower the ride height a little, once your sit on the bike.

It's possible, that the previous owner did something to raise the bike, if they added a LOT of preload, front and/or rear, you could maybe dial it back some - how tall are you, and what is your inseam? For reference, my inseam in jeans varies from 30 to 32, depending on brand, and I am pretty much flat-footed when on the bike.

Also, the previous owner could have installed a different shock, to raise the rear ride height - some riders want to the change the geometry for quicker steering, and install the shock from the F4, I believe, which, if I remember correctly, raises the rear 1 1/2 inch or more - if your shock isn't F2 stock, then putting one on would possibly bring the rear down a bit, depending on what's already there.
I'm 5'6" and weigh about 150. The shocks are stock. However, I don't have the special tool set to adjust the preload in the rear. That was what I was thinking. Is there any way to adjust the preload with out the tool?

Old 04-11-2012, 11:13 AM

I can't remember if you can get by with using a hammer and drift, or not, on the stock shock - but, if I remember correctly, you should have that tool in the set that comes with the bike, stored in the little cubby behind the battery.
Preload in the front, of course, only requires a flathead screwdriver.

Last edited by JNSRacing; 04-11-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
I can't remember if you can get by with using a hammer and drift, or not, on the stock shock - but, if I remember correctly, you should have that tool in the set that comes with the bike, stored in the little cubby behind the battery.
Preload in the front, of course, only requires a flathead screwdriver.
Tried the hammer method. Budges a little bit but not enough. My bike never came with tools But I think I can work my way around that. I'm thinking my wrench to adjust my coilovers on my car would work. I'm going to give that a try.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:54 PM

Good luck! I'm not sure what that tool would cost from the dealer - probably more than it should, I'm sure.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:56 PM

they worked!!

Old 04-11-2012, 09:48 PM

Sweet! Now the question is: will lessening the preload give you any trouble in the handling department?
And, will this aid you in lowering the ride height sufficiently?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowering CBR?