CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Lost- possible fuel/bad gas issues 954

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2024, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost- possible fuel/bad gas issues 954

I’m really lost here. I’ll try and keep it succinct but there are so many moving parts to this. I have an 2002 954rr, had it for about 5-6 years. Barely rode it the entire I’ve had it then one day about 18-24 months ago I went to ride it and fuel pump wasn’t priming. Let it sit and literally didn’t touch it till about two weeks ago. When I diagnosed the fuel pump issue it turned out to be a faulty connection on the pump itself. Because those fuel pumps are so expensive I ended up buying a parts bike and stole the fuel pump off that. Installed it and it fired right up with 2year old gas. Rode it around the block then parked it because the tires were low and I wanted to check the oil, etc. That said I shut it off voluntarily, it ran fine, didn’t die on me, etc. checked the air and oil and stuff then the next day was going to take it out for a real ride but bike wouldn’t start. It only had a little old gas in the tank so I filled it with new gas hoping the mixture of the old and new gas would be fine (probably a bad idea), and kept trying to start it. The battery isn’t super strong because it had been sitting so it died and I figured I’d charge it and it would start. Next day tried to start it with a fresh charged battery and still wouldn’t start. Now I start having issues with a sticky starter switch, I clean it with some electrical cleaner and it improves a little but not completely, now I can’t tell if it’s a weak battery or the switch. Hook it up with cables to my truck and still having issues so I decide it’s the switch or maybe now I’m not getting spark because I definitely smell fuel and see it leaking on the floor? I check all the fuses and when those are good decide to rule out the switch given that I now have that parts bike I start to switch out the switch. I get the tank and air box apart to get to the end of the throttle cables to switch the starter switch and I plug in the new switch. When I go to test it with the throttle body exposed I notice it shoots up gas but only from the far left cylinder. I’m not familiar with how these things prime but I thought that was odd. I start messing with it and I get a second cylinder to also shoot up gas. So now the cylinders on either end shoot up gas but the middle two don’t. Is that how it’s supposed to be or do I have two clogged injectors? If so how do I clean them?

anyway I decided I’m going to try and start it now that the fuel is coming from two cylinders thinking maybe that’s how it primes, but when I try and start it again I pissed the battery off for the last time and it blew on me.

I decided that’s it for today and I am going to seek help but now I’m not sure if this is fuel issue, or something to do with the battery/switch/electrical . Then the oddest part to me in all this is the fact that I rode the bike around the block without issue just two days ago on old gas. Anyway pretty lost, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old Today, 12:53 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you smell gas or see gas dripping under bike you need to check the fuel pressure regulator located on left side of fuel rail. Remove the rubber hose and cycle the key and see if any fuel drips from the regulator. If good you should see no fuel. If bad excess fuel dumps into cylinders 1&4 through the vacuum lines connecting the regulator to the throttle bodies.