CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

lost my keys, advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost my keys, advice?

i lost my keys to my 2002 954 , i was told to take the ignition out and bring it down to the local dealer. im havin a ****in hard time finding a allen, hex wrench to fit the two bolts holding the ignition. then they told me to bring the triple tree. skrew that. the guy i bought it from doesnt have the key plates and i called the dealersip that it was bought new from and they couldnt get the number. so i really dont want to lug the bike on a trailor that i dont have. any idea how to get those bolts unlocked or any other way to get a ****IN key made.............. thanks

Old 06-16-2005, 10:05 AM
Default RE: lost my keys, advice?

First calm down a little. Call a locksmith. They can probably help you. If all else fails buy another one through the dealer or ebay. Call a local dealer or other repair shop to see if you might borrow the right tool for the job. I know these little things are frustrating but if you use your noodle then you wil be fine. B

Old 06-16-2005, 11:54 PM

I had a similiar problem with a FZ1 and the locksmith made an impression out of the seat lock and then tailored it and it worked great...try a ACTUAL locksmith, not the clowns in the automotive department at Wal-Mart

Old 06-18-2005, 02:26 AM

I've been in the same situation.Let me tell what I found out and what did t remedy the situation. Altho I didn't lose my key, just replaced my triple clamp with a vortex.
The 2 bolts holding the igniton in place is a special type and usually only the dealership has that tool to remove the darn thing. And even if you can find one, it's gonna cost you an arm and a leg. I was told they don't sell this to individual. you have to be a honda dealer to acquire this tool. Ths they said is for security reason. So nobody can tamper with the bike and steal it. It's not really that hard to remove it, just spray these bolts with WD40 and let it get inside the thread, then get a hammer and screwdriver and start pounding on the head of the bolt. If you hold the screwdriver at an angle and hit it with the hammer several times, you'll end up with a groove and if it's deep enough, the bolt will start moving, and when that happens, just use the screwdriver to turn it. Try it. Just have a little bit of patience. When I reinstall the ignition, I just use a regular metric bolt and you can buy at any parts store. don't buy the original bolt, coz' you're gonna end up with the same problem. And forget about borrowing from a dealer's repair shop, an arsonist got a better chance of becoming a fire chief, than you getting this wrench from a repair shop!! :-) he! he! Wel, it's pretty obvoius why they won't lend this out.!! hmmm...??
Anyway, good luck dude and let me know what happen.

Old 06-18-2005, 12:21 PM

Good Luck!! Im in Virginia and no one seems to have a key size for my 01 929.Trust me if i Lose my key I'm done riding for at least a year cause how this state is. Like I said Good luck

[IMG]local://upfiles/407/F266A712388D45A0A38B7F393306974F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-30-2005, 10:20 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's not that big of a deal, try a locksmith, or like you said before, take of off the triple tree, that's a pretty easy thing to do, or just borrow the keys for ignition and buy a new ignition off of ebay, this process should have only took u a few days to figure out

Old 09-30-2005, 10:21 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i meant borrow the tool for the ignition

Old 01-24-2006, 11:58 PM

hopefully the problem has been remedied by now but for everyones else's information that sticker w/ the info on the left side of the frame has this thing called a VIN # on it write that down take your registration and your drivers license to a honda dealer and they can get this thing called a key code for your ignition from that after you have furnished sufficient proof the bike is actually yours they will cut you a key from a blank one they have in stock in their parts department. lost keys are not a big deal and those special bolts that only the dealer has a tool for are called Torx head an allen key will round them out. Oh and you can get Torx head sockets from anywhere that sells tools

Old 02-28-2006, 12:59 AM

only bad thing about the 954rr is they keys are encrypted if im not mistaken, so im not sure a reg. locksmith can help you,,,and i know yu dont wanna buy a new one from the dealership, theyll rip you a new one if your not careful, it may be easier to buy the entire key and ignition from a salvage yard. i would def. check it out bfore buyin new.