CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Looking for some tranny advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 07:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Conrice
really? for real? wow! look - we're all for opinions around here, but there are a lot of people here that really know what they're talking about, and i'm sure you know a lot about bikes, but throwing out the "i'm a mechanic so i know" line isn't going to make you a ton of friends around here

the stuff on ebay usually has detailed pictures and the sellers generally know exactly how good their stuff is because if they're taking something out of the motor, like the tranny per say, they're mechanically inclined enough to know whats good and what isn't. with pictures, and good convo's with the sellers (who usually rode the bike themselves), you can get a very good and reliable set of gears.

not to mention, brand new gears can mess things up more so then replacing the whole transmission. the gears develop wear patterns (kind of like chain and sprockets for example). you should replace the entire tranny on your bike with a tranny that is good and that has been together for 15k miles before putting a brand new gear into a set of gears . the shifting will be SOOO rough if you just replace the one gear.

all a mechanic is is someone who can follow the manual and has the tools to do so. do it yourself, you seem to be mechanically inclined enough, i'm sure you have the tools, and you have the manual.

how do i know? i've done this before
well I know, I'm basically just trying to help you guys out by letting you know you can get real world answers from someone in the business of bike repair and service. I don't want to ruin the fun here, sorry.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:03 AM
Default Ruined

too late Jason. Just kidding.

@RedBaron: I am surprised it took almost a whole page before someone made a "good" tranny comment.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bidds
Yes just the bottom half of the crankcase has to come off. You dont need to pull the crank or rods. And yes you need the 10 crank journal stretch bolts they are kind of pricey which sucks. I get a decent discount from my local dealer so i got everything from there but other forum members say bikebandit.com is the way to go. Other than that you'll need a head gasket stator gasket some assembly lube is good to have and a good rtv sealant for the cases and clutch cover.

Splitting the cases and changing the trans isnt very hard just time consuming. If you have a manual and are cofindent in your mechanical skills you should be fine.
I'm having a helluva time figuring out exactly which bolts these are exactly. Pretty sure I have it figured out, from this picture on bike bandit. 2002 Honda CBR954RR Parts, 2002 Honda CBR954RR OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com
It would be 4 #13's, 5 #11's and 1 #12. Anyone who just sells a kit of these stretch bolts?
Also, any chance of the head being reused? I know this is frowned upon typically.

i paid around $150 for a complete tranny off ebay.

i would look into getting a complete transmission and not just looking for some spare cogs someone has lying around because of the wear pattern that develops on the gears.

you're going to need the stretch bolts because you won't be able to get to the correct torque on the mains using the old bolts. they are a one time use type deal.

i go through ronayers. they're the same as bikebandit but a little cheaper in price.

if you're mechanically inclined, go for it, i know its a high revving i4, but its still just a motor at the end of the day. if you have good mechanic habbits - have at it then. follow the manual if its your first time
I was on ronayers.com for a while and it seemed they didn't have any pieces for my bike. That is a site that is not user friendly.. If I'm mistakened and you have a url for the bolts I'd love to see it!! I will be def trying to find a used transmission. I've read lots of bad things about installing new pieces into old transmissions.

Originally Posted by txsmainevent
I have no advice for you on trannys. I love women, ****** are a no go. But if you want your cake and eat it too....
Lol, I set my thread up for this one.

Originally Posted by RedBaron
I knew by the title the thread was bound to go in this direction lol
MMhmmm

Old 07-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>2003>CBR900RR>CRANKCASE

ronayers is a little confusing at first, but if you look at the fiche, on the right side, you'll see the main bolts that you'll need. looks like 5 #11's, 4 #13's, and 1 #12

here are two build threads for it. the repsol one is by me.... and its not too in depth, i didn't take enough pictures, but the one by ninz49z, that one is pretty in depth on a tranny swap.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr...-build-119879/
https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr...roblem-122086/

and yes, putting new cogs in a used tranny is not a good idea because of the way the gears wear. i know you're on a time crunch, but i'm picking up another 954 motor in a few weeks - that i'm parting out because of worn pistons and out of spec cylinder walls. so i'll have a tranny that i could sell to you in a few weeks.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:30 PM

Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>2003>CBR900RR>CRANKCASE

ronayers is a little confusing at first, but if you look at the fiche, on the right side, you'll see the main bolts that you'll need. looks like 5 #11's, 4 #13's, and 1 #12

here are two build threads for it. the repsol one is by me.... and its not too in depth, i didn't take enough pictures, but the one by ninz49z, that one is pretty in depth on a tranny swap.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr...-build-119879/
https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr...roblem-122086/

and yes, putting new cogs in a used tranny is not a good idea because of the way the gears wear. i know you're on a time crunch, but i'm picking up another 954 motor in a few weeks - that i'm parting out because of worn pistons and out of spec cylinder walls. so i'll have a tranny that i could sell to you in a few weeks.

Where the hell was i when you rebuilt the respol? I feel lost and behind...and to think i have been a member for a number of years....How the hell did i miss that?.....

Old 07-18-2011, 08:12 AM

all a mechanic is is someone who can follow the manual and has the tools to do so

Wow - what an amazing statement that is oh so wrong...

Old 07-18-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by CBR-Mike
all a mechanic is is someone who can follow the manual and has the tools to do so

There is a difference between a mechanic and maintenance technician....

Old 07-18-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by CBR-Mike

why? thats all there is to it. and there is nothing wrong with it. this stuff isn't rocket science. most people don't understand the terminology enough to follow repair manuals, and don't have or know how to use the tools necessary. there's a lot to be said about being able to do both things.

so please, explain to me how that is "oh so wrong..."

what we're talking about... here... in this thread... for this job... is replacing a worn transmission for another transmission.... that is stock...

Old 07-18-2011, 06:38 PM

Where the hell was i when you rebuilt the respol? I feel lost and behind...and to think i have been a member for a number of years....How the hell did i miss that?.....
well, i didn't take a lot of pics, and i didn't have a huge write-up. its all good

Old 07-18-2011, 07:16 PM

There is a difference between a mechanic and maintenance technician....
thats true... thats very true.

but an over-whelming majority of people that call themselves "mechanics" are people that can ONLY follow manuals. i understand the difference.

and while i know the people who are truly mechanics are the guys that know how to tweak, know how to make motors or other various components work better than they were intended to AND they're the guys that can diagnose problems, and figure out what's wrong and what needs to be done...

in the context of this thread, its replacing a worn tranny for a newer tranny in better condition. stock vs. stock.

follow the manual, use the tools needed - job done.

for the guy to come here and say, "no, you need a real mechanic with a "trained" eye tell you which gears are worn out" and then tell us to do something that is a VERY bad thing to do to a tranny (throw new cogs into a used tranny) IMO is wrong. and then to sit there and say, "i know because i'm a mechanic at a multi-line dealership" is also wrong. its arrogant.

.... i didn't mean to offend anyone. sorry for offending anyone that i did offend.

Quick Reply: Looking for some tranny advice!!!