CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Looking for some tranny advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 02:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Looking for some tranny advice!!!

Good evening (night) gentlemen, I've experienced nothing but the finest dogbone grinding and and rounding off Honda has to offer.. I officially have no 4th gear and second is now leaving too. I'm heading to Sturgis at the beginning of next month and I'd like to have my bike ready to go by then. I've been reading all the old forums I can find about fellow riders having the same issues on here.
I'm looking for a list of items I need, along with a spare transmission for the fix. Only thing I can find on ebay is 180 bucks and I know there are better deals out there than that. Also I know about the stretch bolts, but only from what I've read on here. Are those absolutely necessary? I've never ripped apart an inline 4 bike but I'm quite mechanical so I think I can do it with help. I have the Haynes manual that explains how to do it but the require the top half of the engine to be ripped apart too.
I've read you guys on here say its possible to do it with only splitting the bottom half of the engine.. ANYYY help I can get from you guys will be massively appreciated. Maybe pictures too. Oh and of course a transmission.
Thanks massively in advance.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:07 AM

Yes just the bottom half of the crankcase has to come off. You dont need to pull the crank or rods. And yes you need the 10 crank journal stretch bolts they are kind of pricey which sucks. I get a decent discount from my local dealer so i got everything from there but other forum members say bikebandit.com is the way to go. Other than that you'll need a head gasket stator gasket some assembly lube is good to have and a good rtv sealant for the cases and clutch cover.

Splitting the cases and changing the trans isnt very hard just time consuming. If you have a manual and are cofindent in your mechanical skills you should be fine.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i paid around $150 for a complete tranny off ebay.

i would look into getting a complete transmission and not just looking for some spare cogs someone has lying around because of the wear pattern that develops on the gears.

you're going to need the stretch bolts because you won't be able to get to the correct torque on the mains using the old bolts. they are a one time use type deal.

i go through ronayers. they're the same as bikebandit but a little cheaper in price.

if you're mechanically inclined, go for it, i know its a high revving i4, but its still just a motor at the end of the day. if you have good mechanic habbits - have at it then. follow the manual if its your first time

Old 07-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Smile trans gears.

IMO, your better off removing all trans gears, bringing them to a dealership, paying a fee, and having a pro inspect all gears and only replace the worn parts. A used assembly from ebay can have bad components also, and you can end up with the same problems, or worse. A trained eye is needed to "weed out" the worn parts. How do I know? I'm a motorcycle mechanic at a multi-line dealership.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by jason954
How do I know? I'm a motorcycle mechanic at a multi-line dealership.
really? for real? wow! look - we're all for opinions around here, but there are a lot of people here that really know what they're talking about, and i'm sure you know a lot about bikes, but throwing out the "i'm a mechanic so i know" line isn't going to make you a ton of friends around here

the stuff on ebay usually has detailed pictures and the sellers generally know exactly how good their stuff is because if they're taking something out of the motor, like the tranny per say, they're mechanically inclined enough to know whats good and what isn't. with pictures, and good convo's with the sellers (who usually rode the bike themselves), you can get a very good and reliable set of gears.

not to mention, brand new gears can mess things up more so then replacing the whole transmission. the gears develop wear patterns (kind of like chain and sprockets for example). you should replace the entire tranny on your bike with a tranny that is good and that has been together for 15k miles before putting a brand new gear into a set of gears . the shifting will be SOOO rough if you just replace the one gear.

all a mechanic is is someone who can follow the manual and has the tools to do so. do it yourself, you seem to be mechanically inclined enough, i'm sure you have the tools, and you have the manual.

how do i know? i've done this before

Old 07-16-2011, 10:40 AM

You guys sound like awesome mechanics, but my dick is way bigger! Wanna arm wrestle?

Old 07-16-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by F34Me?
You guys sound like awesome mechanics, but my dick is way bigger! Wanna arm wrestle?
i can ride my bike with no handle bars!

Old 07-16-2011, 07:49 PM

I have no advice for you on trannys. I love women, ****** are a no go. But if you want your cake and eat it too....

Old 07-16-2011, 09:38 PM

Yeah my only advice on Tranny's is if there's is bigger, I would pass. I am with
txsmainevent ; Shim's are not my cup 'o tea, but stay safe.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:32 AM

I knew by the title the thread was bound to go in this direction lol

Quick Reply: Looking for some tranny advice!!!