CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Are K & N air filters really better than OEM ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jordan teams use aftermarket..... EBR uses a aftermarket. The gains are minimal but they are there. If you are changing any mapping the stock filter just doesn't flow enough. The aftermarket lets you go a ways more. As for my Honda I run a K&N. Don't no the gain's and thats because this bike is going unmodded.

Last edited by BadS1; 06-23-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 74demon
I'm sure they do. And I'm guessing that, like everything else they run, isn't the same one we can buy. With all that tuning and mods, it probably makes a difference when your talking fractions of seconds on a track.
But does it make a big enough difference, or any at all, for a stock bike on the street? If it does, its probably minimal at best. It's value is mostly in the reusability, rather than power gains. Would the average everyday rider notice the improvement? I'd like to see a dyno test, not run by k&n, that reports actual real world gains on Honda bikes with only an air filter change.
As for our cars, which are designed for economy and gets filtered through regulations up the ying yang, the gains are enough to justify the cost. But that wasn't the question....
most companies sell street and race versions of the filter. and ya, it is minimal. but there's this theory out there that it's worse than oem, and that just simply isn't the case. the average every day rider can't really notice a slip-on other than the noise. if you have something that creates 2hp at the top rpm spectrum, there's no way you'll feel the difference cruising around town. same goes for the air filter

Old 06-24-2012, 08:07 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The reason folks complain about the K&N's is, imo, that they DO flow more air.

If you don't go to the trouble of adjusting the carbs (or change the map on the injected bikes),
you end up running lean (too much air). This can lead to pre-ignition and running hot.

With the average street rider, if it's the ONLY change made, it's probably not enough
to cause problems. When you add in an after-market exhaust (which also tend to allow
the engine to pump more air through the burn), the lean does get to the point
where fuel mix is no longer optimal.

Since a lot of rider's go for "bolt-on, instant gratification", this has created the myth,
that the K&N's are 'junk", "trash", whatever.

As Demon mentions, the most advantagous reason to upgrade is the elimination of air-filter
cost to the maintenance cycle. You should NOT purchase one, however, if you are not willing or able
to make the adjustments to the carbs/mapping nessitated by the additional air-flow granted.

As far as race vs street versions, I don't think so, racers are just willing and able to do the work
needed to take advantage of the incremental HP gains. At their level, ounces of weight reduction
and fractions of HP gains are worth the time/effort invested.

Ern

Last edited by MadHattr059; 06-24-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:49 AM

Cheers for all the info, i do have a Leo Vince after market can and a power commander on the bike (bought it with these already on), so i may leave the K & N where it is, its had its Ohlins shock fitted and the shop that did it mentioned that often the bike would have been set up on the power commander with that filter in place and it were him he would leave it alone.... if the bike is running well, which it is.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:09 AM

Todays injected bikes will except a drop in filter like a K&N without any ill effects. These modern injected bikes fuel systems have .... some room for change without remapping. If you did a full exhaust with the filter you'd need a map. Just a slip on...... your fine.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BadS1
Todays injected bikes will except a drop in filter like a K&N without any ill effects. These modern injected bikes fuel systems have .... some room for change without remapping. If you did a full exhaust with the filter you'd need a map. Just a slip on...... your fine.
My 954 slowed down 1-2 tenths at the drag strip with a K-N filter compared to the stock filter. With a BMC race filter my times were about a 1 tenth quicker than the stock filter.

You will not feel this difference on the street but there is a difference. The aftermarket filters are better because you can clean and re-use them for the life of the bike. When I purchased my bike it had 16k miles and the stock filter looked almost new. Unless you live in an area that is very dusty the stock filter will last a very long time before it would need replaced.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:22 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

and that's why i kind of emphasized the BMC thing. i had a pretty good business and friend relationship with a racer (he bought about 75% of my f3 - suspension for retro racing, frame for swaps, wheels for other projects, etc.) when i lived in tally. he's been racing a really really long time and when i talked to him about modding my 954, he said "do the filter and PC first" to which i asked him "k&n or BMC?".

all he really said was that he preferred BMC, and that i should look around and see what most race teams use and almost everyone uses BMC.

i run a BMC in my repsol (the fighter is getting a spectre) and i have no complaints about the filter

Old 06-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When custom tuning a bike we are always looking for more power.More power requires more air.What flows more air?This is the order I seen on a dyno sheet for the 954.From least to most, K&N,OEM,BMC and BMC race.Will you notice a difference? Probably not.Put in what you think is best for your bike,can't go wrong as long as it's clean.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by backdoc
My 954 slowed down 1-2 tenths at the drag strip with a K-N filter compared to the stock filter. With a BMC race filter my times were about a 1 tenth quicker than the stock filter.

You will not feel this difference on the street but there is a difference. The aftermarket filters are better because you can clean and re-use them for the life of the bike. When I purchased my bike it had 16k miles and the stock filter looked almost new. Unless you live in an area that is very dusty the stock filter will last a very long time before it would need replaced.
I'm assuming this was on the same day within the same hour??? Or was it different day or time of the day where track temps change,humidity levels change,temp changes,sudden head wind..... or possibly you just weren't do something the same that day. No aftermarket filter will be that dramatic. Same goes for a Dyno. same bike same map etc etc. But all of sudden a different day and you may see changes..... sometimes better sometimes worse.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:16 AM

Thanks for all the info, it has been very informative.

Quick Reply: Are K & N air filters really better than OEM ?