CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Are K & N air filters really better than OEM ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are K & N air filters really better than OEM ?

I have not checked my one yet but the previous owner did say it was a K & N, do you simply take it out and give it a shake to clean it ? Also is it a lot better than a Honda standard one ?

Old 06-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

You need to wash it out with degreaser and water. Let it dry and lightly oil it with their filter oil.

Is it better than stock? Not really. It's just able to be re-used. I wouldn't buy one over stock, but since you have it already, run it. I inherited mine as well...

Old 06-21-2012, 03:16 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Would compressed air do the job for cleaning purposes.

Is not as good on the engine as OEM is but will do the job. Especially if you are running an aftermarket slip on or exhaust system being jetted....more gas, more air....so How often do we clean K&N air filter?

Old 06-21-2012, 03:55 PM

found this on their site:

How often do I need to clean my K&N air filter?

If you have not experienced a decrease in mileage or engine performance, chances are your filter is fine and does not yet need cleaning. To be more specific, the filter does not require cleaning if you can still see the wire screen on the entire air filter regardless of how dirty it may appear. When the screen is no longer visible some place on the filter, it is time to clean it. When used in normal paved road, street or highway conditions, our replacement air filters that fit in the factory air box should require cleaning every 50,000 miles and our large conical filters on an intake system should require cleaning every 100,000 miles. When used in dusty or off-road environments, our filters will require cleaning more often. We recommend that you visually inspect your filter once every 25,000 miles to determine if the screen is still visible.

And on cleaning:

1. APPLY CLEANER

Liberally spray K&N Air Filter Cleaner onto both sides of filter and allow to soak for 10 minutes to loosen the dirt. Do not allow cleaner to dry on air filter.

2. RINSE FILTER
Rinse off air filter with cool low-pressure water applied to the clean side out in order to flush the dirt out of the filter. Continue to rinse the filter until all traces of cleaner are gone. It may be necessary to repeat steps 1 and 2.

3. DRY FILTER
After rinsing, gently shake off excess water and only allow filter to dry naturally. Do not oil until the filter is completely dry.

4. OIL FILTER

A.) Squeeze Oil (99-5050)

Apply K&N Air Filter Oil evenly along the crown of each pleat. Allow oil to wick for approximately 20 minutes. Touch up any light areas on either side of filter until there is a uniform red color at all areas.

B.) Aerosol Oil (99-5000)

Spray K&N Air Filter Oil evenly along the crown of each pleat holding nozzle about 3" away. Allow oil to wick for approximately 20 minutes. Touch up any light areas on either side of the filter until there is a uniform red color at all areas.

The above process is the only approved procedure for maintaining your K&N Air Filter.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by estate4life
Would compressed air do the job for cleaning purposes.

Is not as good on the engine as OEM is but will do the job. Especially if you are running an aftermarket slip on or exhaust system being jetted....more gas, more air....so How often do we clean K&N air filter?
Do not use compressed air on the k&n filter, you'll damage it. Just follow the instructions that come with the cleaning/recharge kit. I run k&n on my cars simply bc they can be reused. I run a BMC (reusable as well) on the 954 as well as many other members here. I found on the forums some dyno results that showed the k&n filter made less HP than a stock filter.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 74demon
You need to wash it out with degreaser and water. Let it dry and lightly oil it with their filter oil.

Is it better than stock? Not really. It's just able to be re-used. I wouldn't buy one over stock, but since you have it already, run it. I inherited mine as well...
Actually yes they do flow air many time over better then a OEM filter. Little time spent on a Dyno with my Buell and my Subaru have varified that.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by BadS1
Actually yes they do flow air many time over better then a OEM filter. Little time spent on a Dyno with my Buell and my Subaru have varified that.
What about your Honda? There has been much discussion over this. Seems Honda's stock filters flow really well.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i don't know.

if you look at race teams. a lot of teams for the 954 used BMC and k&ns.

if they made more power with an oem - they'd use an oem. regardless - if it was better (the oem), they'd use it

but they used BMC and k&ns...

so....

Old 06-23-2012, 05:47 PM

I'm sure they do. And I'm guessing that, like everything else they run, isn't the same one we can buy. With all that tuning and mods, it probably makes a difference when your talking fractions of seconds on a track.
But does it make a big enough difference, or any at all, for a stock bike on the street? If it does, its probably minimal at best. It's value is mostly in the reusability, rather than power gains. Would the average everyday rider notice the improvement? I'd like to see a dyno test, not run by k&n, that reports actual real world gains on Honda bikes with only an air filter change.
As for our cars, which are designed for economy and gets filtered through regulations up the ying yang, the gains are enough to justify the cost. But that wasn't the question....

Last edited by 74demon; 06-23-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think just because the race teams got a sticker on their bike that says K&N, BMC, etc doesnt gaurentee thats what their using. Also I read 08 and newer CBR1000 race teams in Japan used the stock filter with the metal screen removed.

Quick Reply: Are K & N air filters really better than OEM ?