CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Help With My 954

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With My 954

Hi everyone I have a problem with my 2003 954. I have owned it since new rode allot for a while then got busy with work and other things and the bike has sat in storage for the past 3 years. and only has 7000 miles on it. one mistake I made was leaving fuel in it witch in turn led me to having to clean and coat the inside of the tank and replace the fuel pump. The bike starts and idles fine but is missing under load at idle it has a fare bit of smoke and raw fuel smell. I replaced the plugs today same result if you rev it allot it smokes allot unburnt fuel I suspect. My question is where do i go from here? could it be bad injectors? fuel Reg ? or bad coil? any suggestions or things to look at would be much appreciated.
The bike has a power commander 3 and a full Arata exaust system thanks for the help

Old 01-10-2012, 04:02 PM

I would run some seafoam through it. Maybe some in the tank and some through the intake.

Check the fuel pressure regulator. It's behind the left fairing and has a vacuum+fuel line going to it. Pull the vacuum line and look for fuel. If you find any, then replace it.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:30 PM

thanks I will take a look at that.
a little further diagnosis i have done. I took all the plugs out and verified there is spark on each plug there is upon turning over the bike there is a large volume of fuel coming out of the
the cylinder number 1 ? the one furthest left of the bike ? not sure if thats considered one or 4. all others have zero fuel coming out of them only that one. and its even collecting in the exhaust when it was running and and leaking out the bottom a decent amount. I also pulled the injectors and swapped them arround same result large volume of fuel comes out of cylinder#1 the spark plug on this cylinder is perfectely clean and the others are dark with fuel and black on them. Any ideas stuck valve mabey ? kinda perplexing.
thanks for the continued help

Old 01-10-2012, 05:38 PM

Actually its sounds normal for the smoking. Its been sitting and burning off oil around the seals and such. A real good ride and heat cyle will get rid of that. The raw fuel smell sounds like you have a clogged fuel injector.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check the FPR like moosestang said. Its an easy thing to check and is only about $98.00 if its bad. If it's good, take it out for a nice ride to let it heat cycle and burn anything off the seals. It very well could have a clogged injector from sitting. What did the old plugs look like? I doubt its a coil however, they typically last the life of the bike.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:15 PM

Easy.... warm the bike up. Spray some water on the header tube closest to the engine. Which ever doesn't burn the water off. Check that injector

Old 01-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Banned

Found my 2002 after it sat out in a guys back yard full of gas and uncovered for almost 3 years. Fortunately there was no rust in the tank. Drained and flushed the old gas from the tank, pulled all of the hoses and cleaned the intake. Fired right up and runs great. Got lucky I guess. I was totally expecting to have to clean or replace an injector or the FPR. The above posts on how to check the FPR and each head pipe for temp are right on. If that all pans out you may want to try disconnecting the fuel commander in case it's electrical in nature. Good luck.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:17 PM

I did take it for about a 30 mile ride from my storage to my house. It was running on 3cykindsrs only. The plugs that came out where kinda wet and oily. I'm thinking its electrical in nature and the injector or maybe multiple injectors are stuck open. As its enough fuel being dumped in its hydro locking the motor. In that one cylinder. I will take a look at it some more tomorrow and go through all the electrical. Hopefully something simple.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That almost sounds like what mine was doing when the FPR went out on it but it was the #2 and #4 cylinders I believe. I had fuel pouring out of the header where its connected to the mid pipe, I have a full Erion Racing system. Here's a link on checking it https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-103/h...ulator-129704/. But since its only on the #1 cylinder I doubt the FPR is going to be the problem. Let us know what you find out.

Last edited by ajzcamaro; 01-11-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

sounds like a clogged injector to me as well... especially since the fuel was in there for that long.