CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine rebuild

Hello I have a engine with a spun bearing and needs complete over haul , I was wondering who might be the best person to get me the most power and performance and still daily street able without issues , thanks

Old 09-11-2011, 07:36 PM

I personally believe the price you would pay for the parts and labor to "enhance" the motors performance is not worth it. The only motor upgrades I've seen is a big bore kit. That will run you at least 700.00 then the price to bore the cylinders out. Your money should be put into a full system with custom tune, brake upgrades, air filter, and sprockets/chain.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

you could stroke it, that would give you the most power. however, you're looking at at least a grand in the crank, at least another grand in shorter rods, and then the rebuild, and you would have to replace everything gasket wise (even head gasket) - and that would be around probably $1000-$1500 depending on the shop - which you could get another 954 for when you add all those expenses up.
and if you wanted to bore that out at the same time, you'd have to find an automotive machine shop to bore the motor 1mm (thats as far as you can go on a 954), then you'd have to have it cross-hatched, then you have to buy bigger pistons.

after that, all serious motor work is in the head - which has nothing to do with your problem, so thats just spending money to spend money

if it were me, i'd learn how to do it myself, and replace the bearings. that would probably only cost you $100 or so to do, then you'd have all that money to spend on other stuff (like what texas mentioned)

and if that sounds like too much work, i'd sell your motor to somebody that wants a wrecked motor for a few hundred bucks (thats all you could realistically get for it ), then buy a running motor (which will probably cost around a grand) and there you go.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the info , I have done a big bore kit on an old fzr 1000 before so I know all the work involved in that , I know it's going to cost me money (around $2000-$3000) but I don't plan on ever giving up my 954 , right now I have a 929 engine in it becouse its the only thing I could find under $1000 a month ago , so I guess I was hopping to find out some of the best internal mods cuz it does need to be bored (cylinders are a little scored) anyway . Stuff like cams ? do they make good ones for power and street , upgraded TB , anything like that . I would love to get 180-200hp at the rear tire on 93 pump gas if that's posible .

Old 09-13-2011, 11:12 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

big bore doesn't yield much if any hp, its given some guys more torque, but not much in hp - and besides, its only 1mm... not too much. however, stroking does work, you could probably get close to 175 with just the stroke, but just remember, you're looking at new rods and you'll need someone to move the journals. that'll be around $2k. i'd look into falicon if you're looking into stroking. i'm pretty sure the most you can go on the stroke is 4mm.

and if you do go the stroking route, make sure you don't get crazy high compression ratio pistons because the last thing youd want to do is through a rod and mess up your crank and crank case. and that'd be the only reason you'd ever need 93 octane. for the stock compression ratio though, there'd never be any need to go with premium.

you can go crazy with the head, but remember, the more aggressive the cams get (more overlap) its all in the higher RPM range for the gains, and it robs the low end - which will kill your street riding. and if you're stroking your motor, you shouldn't be revving the bike as high because of how much further/faster the pistons travel. i'd look into port and polishing the head though. oversized valves made out of titanium would be cool, but that'd be really expensive

as far as TBs, the only thing you could do is replace them with bigger ones (like from a 1krr or something), however, they have two injectors per cylinder and thats the real advantage to using them. but, you'd have to probably use a 1krr ECU in order to use them and adapting that to your 954 would be a headache. as well, you'd have to use a 1krr airbox and there might be space issues with the 954 tank.

i'm with you, i'm not giving up my 954. i plan on doing the stroking, some head work, and TB work in the future, but you have to understand, you'll be wasting your money doing this stuff if you don't have all the other basic mods. there's no point to doing head work or motor work to your bike if you don't have a full system already. and you'll need a PC for that, which would be obsolete if you added a different kind of ECU down the line.

my point is, you have to love wrenching on your bike almost just as much if not more than riding your bike. for most of the stuff that you want to do - bike shops won't do these mods because of liability. do what you want, spend what you want, but be warned, there's no manuals for this stuff. you need to be able to do most of this stuff yourself if you're going to do it.

the easiest thing to do would be break your motor down, new bearings all around, maybe big bore if you can't lightly hone out the cylinders, through really low compression pistons in it, then turbo the bike using a turbo from a volvo or audi (like an a4). that'd get you to 200hp easy and it'd still be streetable. getting to 200hp with a N/A motor is a whole lot tougher, especially if you ever want to enjoy riding on the street

Last edited by Conrice; 09-13-2011 at 11:17 AM.