CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

cutting cone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cutting cone?

Heys guys. i was wondering if any of you who cut down your cans have also cut down the cone/baffle as well? would this kill back pressure? im happy with the results of the cut down on mine...i think i have an addiction to loud noise though lol... so i wouldnt mine it bein a little louder. also, if this would kill ther back pressure would a power commander fix it? ty

Old 01-13-2009, 01:18 AM
Default RE: cutting cone?

Cutting the cone will only cut your performance. If you want noise, get a full race system.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:22 AM

If it only cut performance why do half the slip on or bolt ons require you to cut it off? that doesnt make sense!!

Old 01-16-2009, 02:06 PM

it does nothing to the performance of the bike is what iv been told by my coultless dyno runs... The shorter the better actually cuz the exhaust escapes faster and allows for more top end breathing,- thats why so many manufactures are going to moto gp style exhaust (short) and for clearance... If you want really loud - do what i, and alot of othere do- Wrap the cone in header wrap and then put it back into the can... still plenty of back pressure and very loud. cars need more back pressure than bikes due to the minimal RPM's they produce in comparison. At 13k a bike needs as low back pressure as possible

Old 01-16-2009, 05:28 PM

cool thanx, i chopped it already though!

Old 01-17-2009, 12:12 AM

It seems to me like wrapping the cone in header wrap will reduce exhaust flow because now you are reducing the number of holes that it has to flow thru. This should reduce power as well.I can however see how it might make it louder byworking something like a whistle. Just my opinion as I have nothing to back this up with other that basic logic.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:00 PM

I thught this as well but the dyno numbers of before and after show otherwise. Same day, same dyno, and the only mod was wrapping the cone. only a .2 hp difference in the plus- but i make all my power in the top rpms. It still provides back pressure and does the same thing the glass packing does, but its a tighter weave thus making it louder in the process. It does not reduce the flow of the exhaust; it speeds it up because acts more like a straight pipe. My cone is open on both ends and provides no restriction at all. -you could read a book througth it. lol (besides any high hp drag bike has no mufflers- just a straight pipe)

Old 01-21-2009, 04:30 PM

Nealio240z (or whoever else would know)- what is the exhaust cone you guysare talkin about? is that thepiece inside the slip-on that has all the holes in it.... like the baffle or whatever? im assuming it is but im just making sure cuzi haventheard of it called a cone before, but anyway when you wrap it in header wrap, do you just wrap it so its 1 layer thick or what? and was this done on a "shorty" exhaust or an uncut one? Sorry for all the questions lol. Thanks

Old 01-21-2009, 05:26 PM

Its not the baffle inside your pipe.....when you undo the three bolts n take the can off, there is the "cone" on the end of the midpipe. I still havent really got a clear answer on what it exactly does. Alot of people have had to chop it of to make there slip ons fit, they were told in the directions from whatever pipe they got. Mine did not require to be cut off, but i was bored so i chopped it. I dont see it it being a bad thing since half the exhausts require you to anyway. It does sound a little deeper with it off, not much....no performance gains or losses that i feel at all.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:59 AM

Igot a shortened the yoshi r&d can (and fullheaders wit stainless exhaust- no exhaust valve)i cutthe cone to about 9 inches, wrapped it in 2"header wrap only once with a 1" overlayfrom top to bottom,and i used metal tie straps to secure it in place, put it back into the can with the glass packing still in it; this also keeps your can cool to the touch- sounds like a F-1 car or viper. very throaty and not ricey... Iv had nothing but compliments on it. if you dont like it the procedure is reversible.

Quick Reply: cutting cone?