CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

cracked block

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracked block

Seen coolant leaking from the bike this morning and figured out where its coming from. A crack in the block behind the coolant reservoir. Anyone experience anything like this before? Any helpful ideas?

Old 06-07-2011, 11:14 PM

How many miles on the bike? What is your riding climate in the summer?

Old 06-08-2011, 08:01 AM

19700 on the motor. And I live in Louisiana so its pretty hot. reached over a hundred already this year

Old 06-08-2011, 11:59 AM

Sorry to hear that man. I've read about a few other people with the same issue on other forums. It seemed to be happening in hotter climates and 03 models. Just reading this makes me only want to ride my bike in 90 degrees or less. I don't really think it would change anything.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:39 PM

Yea man it sucks. Put little over 3000 miles on it this ridin season and crack the block. Il be down for awhile now

Old 06-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ya, there were many companies that made these engine casings for honda... one of the companies didn't use the right material.

it sucks to hear you have one. i've heard of people welding them back together. if you have a welding company by you, i think you should look into that. it'd be the cheapest (and probably the quickest) route to go.

and irockwell - there's no reason to be scared to run your bike in hot weather. there have been only a handfull of these topcases to surface since '03 (thats why honda has not had a recall), so don't be scared to run yours in hot weather. i have two '03s, and i run them in the hot humid SW florida climate, not to mention there's a few others around this area, and they're still on the road.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:23 PM

I don't see why hot weather would be a factor.

Airtime, is yours a 03?

Old 06-08-2011, 10:00 PM

If you don't mind me asking, would you give me your engine number? I just want to see how close the engine numbers are numerically to mine. If you don't feel like disclosing that info, it's cool. I know if mine ever goes, I am going to contact Honda UK. After reading other posts, last year, I called Honda America and asked if there were any recalls on my vin# and also asked if they had ever heard of the cracked cases. They said no to both, but I don't think it would hurt to call other Honda national branches just to be sure. I would even call Honda Japan if I knew I could speak with a bilingual representative. Even if the bike is eight years old, it never hurts to ask.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by moosestang
I don't see why hot weather would be a factor.

Airtime, is yours a 03?
+1

Why would hot weather temperatures matter?

I know cold weather does, if you leave a poor ration of water to antifreeze in your block and let it get to cold it will freeze and crack your block due to expansion of ice.....Only way i see hot weather causing this is by adding cold coolant to a hot engine very fast.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Irockwell27
If you don't mind me asking, would you give me your engine number? I just want to see how close the engine numbers are numerically to mine. If you don't feel like disclosing that info, it's cool. I know if mine ever goes, I am going to contact Honda UK. After reading other posts, last year, I called Honda America and asked if there were any recalls on my vin# and also asked if they had ever heard of the cracked cases. They said no to both, but I don't think it would hurt to call other Honda national branches just to be sure. I would even call Honda Japan if I knew I could speak with a bilingual representative. Even if the bike is eight years old, it never hurts to ask.
it could be the next number to yours and not have a problem. look... if they were going to do a recall anywhere, it'd be america before any other country because of our legal system. your odds are better winning the lottery. and i've read on fireblades.org that there is nothing the guys in europe could do either.

but seriously, don't worry about it. and if you feel so inclined, find an '02 motor, buy it, then sell me your '03 motor.

Quick Reply: cracked block