CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Chain question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain question

I cleaned my chain and lubed it last night and it had roughly 2in of free play in it, per spec in the manual, 1.6-2.0in, after a 5min quick ride I rechecked the chain and it had way more free play in it, I'd guess 3.5-4in, I checked it this morning and it seems to be abour 2.0in again, my question is when you adjust the chain tension do you do it warm or cold? Or do I have a different issue going on? Bad chain?

Old 04-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nmband13
I cleaned my chain and lubed it last night and it had roughly 2in of free play in it, per spec in the manual, 1.6-2.0in, after a 5min quick ride I rechecked the chain and it had way more free play in it, I'd guess 3.5-4in, I checked it this morning and it seems to be abour 2.0in again, my question is when you adjust the chain tension do you do it warm or cold? Or do I have a different issue going on? Bad chain?
How old is your chain and are your adjusters within the recommended range? It should loosen a little when warm but not 1-2 inches. Maybe post some pics of your chain against a ruler before and after riding to let us see your measurements.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

what chain pitch is it? 520? 530?

just because there's 2 in. of free play in one spot on a chain, doesn't mean there's 2 in. of freeplay in another part of the chain. chains don't stretch evenly. i doubt your issue has anything to do with warmth in the chain.

either pitch of chain will do that, but if you have a 520, it'll do it more and it'll do it quicker.

and i wouldnt worry about it just yet as long as the links look okay and the teeth of the sprocket look okay, as long as you still have a long ways to go on the chain adjustment indicator

Last edited by Conrice; 04-12-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:02 PM

Pitch, I'm unsure of. I talked to me friend who has worked on bikes a little and said a little stretch is normal when the chain warms up. It had 2.1in of freeplay cold, and 2.6 roughly warm, too much. I tighten it up to spec of 1.6" cold and went for a ride and was close to 2.0 warm. The chain looks better after it was cleaned and oiled, links all seem to be free and not binding. Sprockets look good, no abnormal wear that I can tell. It has just under 1/2 life left in the chain.

Now I have an issue with my PC3 I think, once in a while it wont turn on and the bike will run poorly or I'll be riding and what feels like a severe misfire on 2cyls. I'll pull the clutch in and it will die like I hit the kill switch. Key off/start and it runs great again. I'll be checking the connections for power/ground and corrosion, the previous owner doesn't have the USB cable so I don't know what map it has programmed into it. I'll be unhooking the PC3 and riding it to check if the issue is resolved.
Anyone know where to get a usb cable for the pc3?

Last edited by nmband13; 04-17-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:36 PM

ya, it stretches a lil as it warms up, i just knew there was no way it was going to have double the play in it when the chain is hot...

as far as the power commander goes... is it a usb edition? because then you just need the usb cable i think. but if it not, and its the other 9 pin connector, you have to go to radioshack (or fleabay) and get a serial 9 pin com port to usb adapter unless you have a computer with a 9 pin serial com port on it, then you just need the cable which you can get at radio shack as well

when you got the bike, did it come with the power commander? did the guy get a custom tune when he put it on the bike? or is it a dynojet map? when i bought my PC, the map that was on it made my bike run like sh*t. pull a plug and check how its holding up. if its black and fouled, it could be the map.

when you say it doesn't turn on, you mean the power commander right? or do you mean the bike?

Old 04-18-2011, 09:49 AM

I ment the power commander didnt turn on once, yes it is the usb edition. I bought the bike and it had the pc3 already on it. I just put new plugs in it and the old ones didn't look bad, slight brown but thats normal, I replaced them anyway because I had the whole front clip off and got the gas tank painted to match the bike. It had a Map sensor and intake air sensor codes when I bought it.

Is it normal for not all the lights to be on the pc3 side bar when the bike is on and running?

Old 04-18-2011, 10:49 AM

when i turn the ignition on, the pc lights up and goes up and down, then just the bottom light. the light stays on and the lights move up and down it the when the bike is running. the usb could be different, give dynojet a call once you check out every connection just to be sure.

do you still have the codes? or did they clear out?

Old 04-18-2011, 12:41 PM

The codes went away, the air temp sensor wasn't plugged in and the map sensor hose wasn't connected. I did not hook a scanner up to it, but no flashes on the speedo cluster.

I'll check what the pc does when I key it up and check connections tonight to be sure whats going on.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:39 PM

ya, it's a self correcting system, so they're fixed

Old 04-19-2011, 07:42 PM

Ok here's what I got so far, a very smugged Map reference number off of the sticker on the back of the pc3, it says M110-001 < stock air filter and exhaust for an 02 cbr 954. I do not know if it has been updated or not for my half pipe yoshi, I took the whole pc3 out of the bike and found an usb cord from my camera(score!) I cannot access the pc3 bacause I do not have the 9volt adapter for alternate power. Can I hook this up to the bike and read the pc3 map it has on it? Then possibly program it for m110-014 < stock/aftermarket air filter and yoshi half pipe.

I have a video attached...granted it horrible and I have an enV3 and takes terrible video. The bike seems to run better at idle...1500rpm, its raining here for the past freaking week so I haven't been able to drive it without the pc3 on it to verify if the bike drops a couple cyls randomly and dies at idle when it occurs.

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r...0419011832.mp4

Quick Reply: Chain question