CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

CBR954RR LED Turn Signal Flasher Relay

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR954RR LED Turn Signal Flasher Relay

So, I have a little experience to share...

I added a hotbodies undertail to my bike (02 954), which swapped the rear signal bulbs to LEDs. This sped up the flash rate, which didn't bother me too much.

Recently I went down and jacked my front turn signal. I decided to replace the front ones with an aftermarket LED set. Upon trying them out, I found the signals no longer flashed. I went online and did some research and found that this is caused by the LEDs not drawing enough power from the circuit. The two options to fix the problem are adding power resistors to the circuit, or replacing the turn signal flasher relay.

I read that the resistors can cause excess heat, plus they need to be spliced into the existing wiring. While slightly more expensive, the description of "plug and play" drew me to the aftermarket relay. The person I bought it from on ebay had it listed as plug and play for the 954.

I'll save the extensive details, but here is a brief summary:

The stock relay on the 954 is integrated into the instrument panel. The only way to add an aftermarket relay is to disconnect the wires running to the stock one and connect them to the aftermarket one. The best place I found to do this was after the wiring harness located in the pocket created by the lower, upper and inner left fairings. There is enough exposed wire so that if you ever had to hook the stock relay back up, you could. The two wires you need are the White/Green and Gray wires coming out of the blue wiring harness. I clipped them about 4 inches from the harness. You will be clipping between the harness and the section that goes to the back of the bike. I connected the aftermarket relay to the wires heading to the back of the bike using some 18-22ga insulated disconnects. The nice thing about the disconnects, is that you can switch them easy if you reverse the polarity and if you ever want to reconnect the stock relay, you just crimp 2 more disconnects to the harness side. 4 hours later I had a working turn signal circuit and two new LED signals on the fornt.

If you have any questions about how to do this, let me know. I would hate to see someone else go through all the bull**** I did with the same problem.

-James

Old 01-25-2007, 09:48 AM
Default RE: CBR954RR LED Turn Signal Flasher Relay

Hello !!

i would be very interested to have some pictures of your new led relay connection !!!

i 've just bought some led kits like yours (with aftermarket relay) butand i even don't know how tofind the original hondarelay... ? where is it ???

oliver

Old 01-23-2009, 03:11 AM
Default RE: CBR954RR LED Turn Signal Flasher Relay

what rate ot how fast are your blinkers blinking? im looking to use just two resisters in the rear to balance out all the blinkers and there blinking about four blinks per second.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Default Does this work for an F4i?

I know this is an old thread, but the only DIY I could find for this. Does anyone know if this can be done for an F4i as well? My turn signals don't work and the mechanic said the turn signal relay that's built into the instrument gauge is bad and that I need to buy a new cluster. Could I just buy an aftermarket relay like this and then make the turn signals work again?

Old 12-14-2010, 07:14 PM

Yeah you should be able too. Like the initial thread says he had leds in the front and rear. The cheapest way is to buy the relay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LED-F...Q5fAccessories
That right there is like 25 shipped to the house. It is a true plug and play for your bike....

Old 12-15-2010, 11:31 AM

I will pick one of these up then!

Old 12-16-2010, 05:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might still have mine,which I don't need anymore.I'll sell it to you for $15.00 shipped if you like.