CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

brake question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake question

Ok so I downloaded the manual finally and I've decided I'm going to try to change my front and rear brake rotors and pads....it *seems* easy enough...I've never done brake work before so i'm kinda iffy on whether i should try this alone first or take my bike to the local shop and have them do it and ask if i can watch. any suggestions? Oh, i have to change my back tire too but that's easy stuff, it's the bleeding of brakes, changing everything out and then properly putting fluid back into the lines that's freaking me out.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Default RE: brake question

If you are just changing rotors and pads, you shouldn't need to bleed the brakes. Only if you open the sytem and let air in would you need to do that. Are you planning to flush the system and put new fluid in? Change the brake lines?

Just make sure to remember what parts came from where and in what order. If it helps, use masking tape and a pen to label things so you remember. You can even take pics during each step for referrence when putting back together.

Good luck

Old 09-13-2008, 10:16 PM

I was thinking of changing the fluid in there for good measure...but if it really isn't *that* necessary i probably won't this time 'round, and i can always do that later right? yeah i plan on taking pictures, writing notes and using the sandwich bags lol.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:29 PM

Changing the brake fluid would depend on it's condition. If the color is dark, and it smells kind of funky I would change it. Brake fluid is cheap, and it's really not that hard.

It's easier with two people or a vacuum bleeder.

w/o the vacuum bleeder, put a piece of clear hose ( so you can see air bubbles) that fits snugly over the end of the bleeder valve. This helps to keep the brake fluid from getting all over the place. Pump the brake lever a few times and hold it. Crack the bleeder valve open until the lever bottoms out. Close the bleeder valve. Don't release the lever until you ahve closed the valve or you'll suck air back into the system. Keep repeating until you don't see any air bubbles coming out. Repeat for the other caliper. Make sure to keep an eye on the brake fluid level in the reservoir, because if it goes dry then you have to start all over again.

with the vacuum bleeder, place the hose securely on the end of the bleeder valve, open the valve and start pumping (unless you have a air operated or electric one). Keep filling the reservoir and watch until no air bubbles are coming out. Tighten the bleeder valve, repeat for the other caliper, and you're done.

Hope this helped.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:43 PM

that was a lot more helpful than the manual for some reason lol. thanks a bunch for your advice man, i'm bookmarking this thread. I'll let you know when i've started doing everything...i still need to order everything on monday...i just wanted to learn the theory behind it before just jumping in and doing it with no idea how to do it at all.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:48 PM

No prob. Glad I could help