CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Bike won't start, possibly a fuel pump related issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 02:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just had the diode go out on me, cost $0.69 and 2 seconds of soldering. its a 5.1 zener diode. but you have to take you ignition out which is somewhat of a pain so make sure you test it first. too bad i live in canada cause i have about 50 of them that i bought, as i made my own kill switched ignition. but just make sure that the problem is the ignition switch before you tear that apart.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by fragoso87
i just had the diode go out on me, cost $0.69 and 2 seconds of soldering. its a 5.1 zener diode. but you have to take you ignition out which is somewhat of a pain so make sure you test it first. too bad i live in canada cause i have about 50 of them that i bought, as i made my own kill switched ignition. but just make sure that the problem is the ignition switch before you tear that apart.
I was reading up that also. How would I check the voltage? At the ecu?
Also, I think the F4 guys are using a 5.1 zener and a resistor, and some are using just a 3 V zener, does it make a difference or is it model specific?

Old 07-16-2011, 05:39 PM

There's somebody here who has an '02 that told me that a weak battery would still work for the starter but not enough to prime the fuel pump. I'm charging the old battery and will see if he is correct. The battery is original and more than 8 years old so he might be right. Heres hoping he is right and all I have to do is change the battery.
Anybody else think this might be the case?

Old 07-16-2011, 11:09 PM

It's not the battery so I'm going to try and trailer the bike home so I can work on it a little more. I know it's going to be something simple and take forever to find with tons of work, or it will be very expensive. I just know it.

Jae

Old 07-19-2011, 08:05 AM

Fixed, ended up being the fuel cut off relay. I just exchanged the headlight relay with the the fuel relay and now it runs fine. Funny thing is the headlights are fine too. Maybe the relay can run on different voltages or resistance?

Jae

Old 07-19-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by hawkgt
Fixed, ended up being the fuel cut off relay. I just exchanged the headlight relay with the the fuel relay and now it runs fine. Funny thing is the headlights are fine too. Maybe the relay can run on different voltages or resistance?

Jae
It could just be a bad connection. How did the relay connectors look on the relay and the fuse block? Might want to add a little dielectric grease or even sand the connectors with some fine sand paper.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:03 PM

all the plugs looked fine. no corrosion or burning. I can't see how the relay could loosen as there is a clip to keep them together. I think the relays have a range they work in and the fuel pump was going out of the range of the that particular relay. Who knows, maybe if the headlights stop working, than I know that relay is really bad.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:00 PM

Great Thread !
Im fixing a 2001 F41 that needed fairing replacement.
I've replaced the fairings with a little effort BUT,....the fuel pump does not energize at all when the key is selected to the on position.

The pump works when I supply an external power source but has zero power coming to it.
The front harness was removed to replace the front fairing. Two relays( or something similar) are hanging from the front center section of the front fairing. Both seem to be the same in size and hang beside each other.....could reversing their plugs ( to the relays up front) cause this issue of no pump when the switch is turned on?

Old 07-25-2011, 12:04 AM

On the 954 there are 4 relays and they are all the same. When I looked on the micro fiche, all had the same part number. On the 954 there are 3 relays on the subframe and the fuel cutoff in front of the battery next to the ecu. I still think the there is a range in the relays and certain things, like the fuel pump, fall within a range. If the relay is going bad, the relay narrows the range in which it will operate.
You can exchange the relays but exchange it for the headlight relay as you can determine if it's still good and get a new one if it isn't.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:17 PM

I can't believe the saga continues. Last week, I go out and start the bike, after 2 seconds the bike dies. I try to restart it and it seems like it's trying to start over but doesn't. Take off my helmet and find out the fuel pump is priming again.
This time, it's not the fuel cut off relay, but rather the fuel relay by the ECU. Funny thing is, I just switched the relays around and everything works. I go to put the bike back together and stick the relay sideways back in the tray in front of the ECU. Before I put everything back together, I try to start the bike and no fuel pump. WTF? I pull out the relay and I can hear a click when I turn the key. Now that the relay is standing up/down, the fuel pump primes. When I put it back down sideways, it doesn't work. I change it for a different relay and try it. This time it works sideways and up/down.
I'm going to buy a few of these relays just for spares.
Is there just some simple defect with these things?

This really sucks, because it takes a bit of effort even with tools to get all the body work off so you can get to these relays and you can't do it on the side of a road.

Quick Reply: Bike won't start, possibly a fuel pump related issue