CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

954 transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 954 transmission

hello erybody im new to the forum and looked around and i seen that you can pull the bottom half of the case without taken off all the other parts the maual says...... Can sombody please tell me what all i need to take if apart from the bottom half ? My second gear under hard acceleration goes in and out like im flicking the clutch so i need to take it apart to see whats going on i have the engine already out of the bike jus ened to know hwo to split the case from the bottom m Thanks for the help in advance!

Old 07-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

how good are you mechanically? because you're essentially going to have to rebuild the bottom end. the bottom part of the case splits on the main bearings on the crank. while you won't have to take the crank, rods, and pistons out - it's a pretty serious undertaking. first, you'll need to order more stretch main bolts - because you cannot re-use the old ones.

you have to take both side overs off, you'll have to pull the clutch and basket out (10mm bolts hold the clutch springs, then there's a 30mm nut on the main shaft holding the basket on - it'll take practically an air wrench to get it off - it's staked into place). then you'll have to get the gears that drive the oil pump off. there's a bracket behind it that holds 3 bolts (10mms). - you cannot split the case without getting those 3 pesky little bolts off

after that, you'll need to remove the top case bolts out that are essentially above the tranny on top of the motor. (10mm and 12mm sockets)

flip the engine over.

undo all of your oil pan bolts (10mm socket)

then you'll undo your bottom half of the case bolts. you'll need a 10mm, 12mm, and 14mm sockets to get them all out. you'll also need an exenstion so you'll have room to get at all of the bolts.

then you should to pry off the bottom

but that's a VERY abbreviated version of what all has to be done. and then there's putting it back together - you'll spend $30 - $90 on stretch bolts depending on where you get them

i assume you're just going to try and re-use the main bearings? how many miles do you have on the motor

2nd gear slipping out means you'll most likely need new gears

Last edited by Conrice; 07-19-2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: terminology
Old 07-19-2012, 06:38 PM

whoa whoa whoa...

does it come out of gear?

or does it just feel like your clutch is slipping? because if it's just slipping, all you'll need are new disks and springs (most likely) - not really all that hard of a job.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:48 AM

Im real good mechanically i just want to say thank you for the quick reply and helpin me throught the steps Conrice!!!! if feels liek the clutch is slipping but it only does it in second its like im tapping on the clutch lever , under hard acceleration. But only in second all other gears hold good

Old 07-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Worn shift forks and drum can cause the bike the slip out of gear. If the shift fork and drum are worn they can be changed without splitting the cases. You only have to split the cases to change the gears on the transmission.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:49 AM

and no it doesnt come out of gear

Old 07-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Countryboyy2307
and no it doesnt come out of gear
That's different.

Sounds like your clutch and/or clutch springs are worn out. That's an easy repair if it is. Take them apart and inspect that first....that's what I would do.

BTW, what oil are you running?

Old 07-20-2012, 05:24 PM

ya, if you're not coming out of gear, i'd buy a clutch rebuild kit - i mean, if it's slipping, it's slipping.

i don't know. all i'll tell you is this - taking the clutch cover off and replacing the plates and springs is WAY easier and cheaper than splitting the case.

and you don't have to split the case in order to check out the drum or forks either

Old 07-21-2012, 09:21 AM

If it goes back into neutral, from second at 5000 rpm or higher then the gear is prolly screwed, if it slips but stays in gear, then its the clutch like these guys said. Did you adjust the clutch before removing the motor?

Old 07-21-2012, 01:30 PM

First i just want to say thanky ou erybody for the replys adn helping me out even though im new you guys came through for me i appreciate it!! Cobra1000rr yea it slips but stays in gear and i adjusted the slack in the clutch cable but ti still did it . Today i pulled the oil pan off and looks like the 2nd gear shift fork might b bent the dogs and gear look good! and the shift drum doesnt have any grooves or notches in it so its good , it looks like a bent or worn fork but idk if it is bent or if im just looking at it funny should i post a pic of it?

Quick Reply: 954 transmission