CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

954 motor build?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 954 motor build?

whats goin on i have a 02 cbr954rr i love the bikes its amazing but finding things is a pain in the *** for this bike i wanted to put a set of cams in the bike but cant find any other than stock. so i was shopping around n cam up withe the idea maybe i should just build the motor. i found a high compression wiesco piston set has any body ever built up a 954 motor n how did it perform after words another thing is if u guys know a place were i can buy race cams or even just better cams others than wats in the bike lead me the right direction thanx
http://www.orientexpress.com/Honda/S...252F980cc.html
this is a link to the piston set i was lookin at

Old 08-08-2010, 03:19 PM

come on i know somebody tried or upgraded engine internals b4

Old 08-08-2010, 08:55 PM

Nope, I've been here for years and I've only seen a turbo charger set up....

Old 08-09-2010, 06:33 PM

wow well that sux i really wanted to no how it performs with some internal mods i think ima buy in the high compression piston an port n polish the head this winter any way i figure when i do that i have more power than than i do now n i weigh less than i 1000 plus its different n i really like my 954 n dont wanna buy a new bike

Old 08-10-2010, 04:47 PM

what are you looking to do with the bike? street driving/drag/road racing or a mixture of the above. litre bikes have a lot of power, most people cannot truly handle one at its potential.. building the engine would make this bike insane

Old 08-11-2010, 01:23 PM

I want to do all of the above. Wanted build it to keep the bike upto date with new bikes or even better than a new bikebut if this build will cause a headache. I'll just buy a new bike but I do like being different n I think with the power to weight ratio being less then a liter bike than me building the motor on top of that which will be able to stand next to it. Plus I like building motor i have pretty good experience with car motors n this will be a fun build plus who else on the forum has done it wouldn't u like to here the thread when I said motor done n the bike is insane

Old 08-12-2010, 07:30 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

you can build these motors... im planning on doin' mine, just waiting for more money. as soon as my odo hits 30k, i'm doin it. i already have some high compression pistons. i'm going to stroke it 4mm. that'll get me up to 1052cc. sending the head away, oversized titanium valves, springs, retainers, serdi multi angle jobs, etc. i've heard one of the best cam jobs you can do is to throw the intake cam on the exhaust side (you have to weld the cam position sensors on it to make it work) with a custom grind intake cam.

it just takes a lot of money and time man, this isn't a weekend type deal. you have to start doin' everything to get more air, more fuel, more cooling, etc.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:44 PM

yeah i wrk part time at a machine shop so i can do all the machine wrk i been doin it for about 2goin on 3 years so wat ever i dont know my boss does but like i said this will be my first bike motor being built. so your sayin intake cams on both sides is the cam upgrade if i wanted to who could i talk to for a custom cam? wat are your plans with your bike all around ridin or is it just for the track?

Old 08-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

no, not two intakes, one custom grind intake cam and take the orig. intake cam and throw it on the exhaust side. i wasn't too clear. i haven't really looked into who i'm going to go with for the custom grind cam, but i know i'm going to get carillo to do my crank, pankl rods, with my CP pistons. i don't have a machine shop picked out yet (if i have enough money, i may just send the head to vance and hines --- they did all the heads for the 954 race bikes from erion).

i think you can go out 1mm on bore, but from what i've read so far, you don't really gain anything by that, and you ruin the sleeves, but you do however gain a lot from stroking it and it puts you over a liter as far as displacement goes..

what shop do you work for and where are you located? do you guys have a serdi?

i'm going to be doin' all around riding, but i have the wife's bike to take on days when i know i'll just be sitting in traffic. i don't think i'll be commuting with it like i can do now. but just like you, its what i like to do and i love my 954. i don't like to just have the usual full exhaust, PC, bmc, blah blah blah. i want to stick it to the current crop of literbikes

Old 08-13-2010, 08:32 PM

o ok the shop i wrk at is called east coast auto machine its right outside of philly maybe like 5minutes outside philly i dont want to go to extreme i just want more power if that makes any sense but i want it to be reliable like u said i dont want to be in traffic over heating these bike seem like they have a lil time staying cool even thou mines has never over heated knock on wood but from wat i was reading about other people bikes

Quick Reply: 954 motor build?