CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

954 engine oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011 | 10:00 PM
|
Default 954 engine oil

I am going to be changing the oil in my 2002 954 and I was wondering what you all were using? I know there is honda hp4, but are any others good?

Old 09-03-2011 | 10:48 PM

Many topics on this same exact question. You will not get one answer. Some use full synthetic, some semi, and some conventional. Its personal preference. Just don't get 2 cycle oil....but I know me telling you that was completely unnecessary.

Old 09-03-2011 | 11:00 PM
|

Yeah, I typed in 954 and oil in search so I attempted to find a thread with it figured something should pop up (so i tried to find a on going thread). I am assuming that I dont want to get oil with moly in it as i read that somewhere. I want to use synthetic or blend I guess, hondas full synthetic said only bikes after 2006. I dont know if this is cause the synthetic lubricates to well or something? Anyhow just wanted a few ideas of what others use.

Old 09-04-2011 | 12:08 AM
February 2012 ROTM

Regarding Moly, HP4M....it's a Internet myth thing.

Read this:

http://m.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_oil/index.html

My 900rr calls for HP4....on the owners manual. HP4M even better. Clutch slipping is totally different issue...though quality oil/ synthetic / with Moly...will disclose an existing clutch issue more easier. If you have a worn /due to replace/ clutch. Wouldn't you want to know???

Originally Posted by Desertfox223
Yeah, I typed in 954 and oil in search so I attempted to find a thread with it figured something should pop up (so i tried to find a on going thread). I am assuming that I dont want to get oil with moly in it as i read that somewhere. I want to use synthetic or blend I guess, hondas full synthetic said only bikes after 2006. I dont know if this is cause the synthetic lubricates to well or something? Anyhow just wanted a few ideas of what others use.

Old 09-04-2011 | 07:00 AM

I use just plain old 10w40 castrol GTX in mine and have no problem at all. One of my buddies that races moto cross said that's what he uses in his r1 when I asked him the same question that you're asking. Like txsmainevent said, its personal preference

Old 09-04-2011 | 10:54 AM
|

That article on oil is interesting. The author's conclusion seems to be unconclusive though to some extent. Perhaps, he was scared to pick a brand and lose advertising(or maybe not). It does seem, though; that for a synthetic motorcycle oil Amsoil was def. at top in many tests. Any one have experience with Amsoil and if so what type it sounds like they have a few different types of motorcycle oil.

Old 09-04-2011 | 11:25 AM

I go to Oreilly's, Autozone, or Advanced Auto and buy my oil change kit. I end up with a fram filter, and Castrol half of the time. My last 5 changes have come from one of those parts stores. Ive seen no issues yet.

Old 09-04-2011 | 01:58 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer

Originally Posted by txsmainevent
I go to Oreilly's, Autozone, or Advanced Auto and buy my oil change kit. I end up with a fram filter, and Castrol half of the time. My last 5 changes have come from one of those parts stores. Ive seen no issues yet.
i'm with you, i just get the new filter, and i usually try to get the fully synthetic stuff. but i'm not against using conventional either.

i've used repsol full synthetic, i've also used the amsoil stuff. look, maybe if i were at the track racing i would notice a difference, but for what i do (street riding), i can't notice a difference. the only difference the was, was the blow to my wallet.

Old 09-04-2011 | 03:02 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by txsmainevent

+1 on that Advanced Auto, Fram filter, and Pennzoil works fine for me.

Old 09-12-2011 | 05:23 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Most important fact sportsrider report conclude is that Moly itself do not cause clutch slippage. And most car oil does contain moly. I have run HP4M 20W 50 in my CBR and felt immediate HP gain, smooth shifting & engine sound crisp. Definitely pro Honda was not BSing. Guess it's users beware when using oil with moly.

Originally Posted by Desertfox223
That article on oil is interesting. The author's conclusion seems to be unconclusive though to some extent. Perhaps, he was scared to pick a brand and lose advertising(or maybe not). It does seem, though; that for a synthetic motorcycle oil Amsoil was def. at top in many tests. Any one have experience with Amsoil and if so what type it sounds like they have a few different types of motorcycle oil.

Quick Reply: 954 engine oil