CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

4th gear messed up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th gear messed up?

in 3rd gear im riding and when i switch to 4th my RPMs just shoot up like crazy like 10k or a lil more.. then it catches.. my bike spun out alittle today on the high way when that happend. So then i thought it was just me so i tried again on the street same thing... only thing is i only click down 2 times to neutral to the bike thinks im in 3rd.. some one i know is saying it might be the gear box oil? any help plzz i just bought the bike about a week ago

Old 03-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Default RE: 4th gear messed up?

There is no "gear box oil" the transmissions uses the same oil as the engine. Also if the bike were doing that in all gears then it would be a clutch problem. Have you tried goin wide open throttle threw all gears? if you havent and you do and the rpms shoot up then look at your clutch. I know when a gear is F'ed up (ive seen second mostly mess up) it will usually fall outta gear. It seems more like a clutch problem then a gear problem cause it sounds like the clutch is slipping. Hopefully somebody else will have something else to add.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:57 PM

Thanks alot man that was very informative, but i need more help. Is it surely the clutch? And how much will it cost to replace it with labor??

Old 03-16-2008, 10:48 AM

If its the clutch plates your looking at about 100 bucks with parts (plates and springs) from www.denniskirk.com now you dont have to pay somebody to do the work because it is fairly easy and if you can prop your bike further over on the kickstand side you wont have to worry about losing your oil. Now my brother was told 400 bucks with parts and labor at a dealership so that will kinda give you a idea of part and labor. You can find plenty of write ups on clutch plate replacement and again its not a difficult job as is nothing is you just have to do it and remember how it goes back togather.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:11 PM
VP

the Honda's have a cartirdge style transmission... you can slip the whole trannie out in like 10 minutes

Old 03-16-2008, 09:23 PM

cmonnn dont say that to me lol help me out guys it still doin this switching from 3-4

Old 03-16-2008, 09:42 PM

I agree with the clutch vs the trans? I did my clutch myself in bout anhour for about 329 in parts,(from the stealership) that's bearing and all. I had the same problem in third gear. Guess what ?? The new clutch fixed it.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:49 PM

How are you riding? I think that "pimpncbr" is wrong. Not to put him down or anything, but if it was the clutch it would do this in any gear and not be limited to just 4th. Now what i'm curious about is how you are riding? Are you just not getting off the throttle and slamming threw the gears, feathering the clutch? If that is so, then when you slam it into gear you might be rounding off the engagement dogs on 4th gear and the gear that engages it. How is it when you just shift slow and smooth and keep the throttle light...does it pop out of gear? Then punch the throttle then and see if it pops out. What you might also be doing is that you are wearing down those dogs and you are not shifting properly and you are finding a false neutral. My older Kawi use to do that to me alll the time. Any gear too! It was annoying. I need to know how you ride, how you shift. Need to know if the bike is just revving up, or do you hear this load grinding/knocking noise? Where are you located at? Before you start just replacing parts trying to figure out what the problem is, you need to figure it out what the problem is. And "VP" is wrong about your transmission, the CBR1000's have that style transmission, but not your 954. You have to remove the engine/swingarm from the frame and split the engine cases to gain access to the trans. Which at a dealership you are looking at thousands.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:24 PM

Wow,

Old 03-17-2008, 12:04 AM

Hey Surf all input is welcome and your not downing me.... he didnt say it was falling out of gear he said it was slipping as if the clutch was engauged.....allinput is welcome andcan possibley help

Quick Reply: 4th gear messed up?