CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Spring maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring maintenance

I have been waiting for spring to get here forever... Unfortunately, it will still be weeks before I see 50+ degrees. In the meantime, I need to get a new rear tire, replace the brake fluid, and brake pads on my 929. Does anyone know how much this should cost to have a shop handle it?

Old 03-01-2011, 02:26 AM

Depends on the Shop... take for instance shop near my house.
Replace a rear tire 75 for labor then the tire..
Replace brake fluid prolly hour labor charge 75 bucks plus parts...
replace brake pads hour labor 100 bucks plus parts..
So you looking at prolly 150 in LABOR alone......
Everything can be done by someone with some Mechanical Knowledge....

First off I buy all my parts online it's 50% cheaper...
Secondly I do most my work myself you will save soooo much money..
Brake Fluid and brake pads are the easiest things to do!!! You don't even need a bleeder to bleed the brake fluid!! I did the brake fluid in 25 mins. Change the brakes took like 45 mins very easy.
The tires I put it on a stand take the tires off and I bring them to the shop to get mounted and balanced for 25 bucks each tire.

Just my info I hope it helps you decide what to do....

Old 03-01-2011, 09:45 AM

Or you could buy a brake bleeder from autzone for like 5 bucks (the cheapest one they have) and have the bleeding done in 5 mins. Tires will run about 40 bucks to have somebody else mount/balance them. I always take my rim/tire off the bike and take it to the tire shop. Pads take 25 mins tops from start to finish.

You should never have the stealership do any routine maintenance IE: oil change, brake pad/fluid change, coolant change, chain. Id let them do internal engine things but not routine maintenance

Old 03-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonb
Depends on the Shop... take for instance shop near my house.
Replace a rear tire 75 for labor then the tire..
Replace brake fluid prolly hour labor charge 75 bucks plus parts...
replace brake pads hour labor 100 bucks plus parts..
So you looking at prolly 150 in LABOR alone......
Everything can be done by someone with some Mechanical Knowledge....

First off I buy all my parts online it's 50% cheaper...
Secondly I do most my work myself you will save soooo much money..
Brake Fluid and brake pads are the easiest things to do!!! You don't even need a bleeder to bleed the brake fluid!! I did the brake fluid in 25 mins. Change the brakes took like 45 mins very easy.
The tires I put it on a stand take the tires off and I bring them to the shop to get mounted and balanced for 25 bucks each tire.

Just my info I hope it helps you decide what to do....
I agree....Doing all your own work will not only save you loads of money over time but will help you to learn more about your bike. The Honda service manual is very easy to follow.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:07 PM

My biggest problem is I don't have a garage anymore so I would have to do the work in the Apt parking lot. I also know the work is not hard and I take a lot of pride in doing things myself... I changed the front brakes already so I know how that goes.

I read a bunch about bleeding the brakes but I am worried I won't keep the air bubbles out of the lines. Besides that, it sounds like a really simple project.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:12 PM

Yeah nice man.. don't worry about bleeding the brakes I get air bubbles in the lines all the time and I just squeeze them out of the nipple in the brake calipar...

Old 03-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Marley5205
My biggest problem is I don't have a garage anymore so I would have to do the work in the Apt parking lot. I also know the work is not hard and I take a lot of pride in doing things myself... I changed the front brakes already so I know how that goes.

I read a bunch about bleeding the brakes but I am worried I won't keep the air bubbles out of the lines. Besides that, it sounds like a really simple project.
Flushing brake fluid - You need the following: Small Clear Plastic tubing and catch can, 8mm wrench, phillips screwdriver, Dot 4 Brake fluid, rear stand if you have one.

1. Place tubing over bleed screw into catch can. (DO ONE SIDE AT A TIME)
2. Remove Front reservoir cover.
3. Loosen bleed screw. Fluid will slowly start to drain down the tube.
4. Have brake fluid open and ready.
5. Refill reservoir when it gets low. DO NOT LET IN GO DRY OR YOU WILL HAVE TO BLEED THE BRAKES.
6. Repeat #5 until fluid coming out of tube is as clean as new fluid in reservoir. Tighten bleed screw then remove tubing and go to other caliper.
7. Repeat #1-5 for other caliper.
8. Once other caliper is done. Fill reservoir to fill line and replace cap.
9. Repeat entire procedure for rear caliper.

This process can take about an hour to complete. If you follow the steps above and keep the reservoir from going dry and sucking air no bleeding will be required.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:53 PM

Another nice trick is to switch back and forth between ATE TYP 200 and ATE Super Blue, the only chemical difference between the two is that one has blue dye in it. It makes it especially easy to tell when all the old fluid has passed. I usually change it out every spring since there is so little in the bikes system.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:04 AM

Check it bro, since i hate seeing people pay the stealership for things that a man with just basic maintenance knowledge can do, I will do a write up on the brake pad and fluid replacement. Ill even do a write up on a oil change. Ill even do a write up on how to remove the wheels from the bike so you can get the tire changed at a wheel shop. They will charge the hell out of you if you take the bike. Ive done the tire with spoons but I have chrome wheels now and f*ck that!

Old 03-02-2011, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the brake bleed write up.

I still have another month of cold weather before I can do anything so there is no need to go out of your way to teach me how to change the brakes or take the tire off. Unless, you want to... I have also done these things before but it was 10000 miles ago.

Thanks for the tips guys

Last edited by Marley5205; 03-02-2011 at 09:03 PM.