CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Shindy Steering dampers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot man i havnt got the damper delivered but im expecting it maybe today or tomorrow. I could kinda picture in my head what you were saying so id say ther pretty good directions. Once i get it in then we'll know for sure how helpful they are lol. But either way thanks for the help and ill let you know how it goes.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by packdog

So, you'll notice right off the bat that the arrangement of parts out of the box is not the same as it is in my pic, something the directions allude to, but don't describe.
1) follow the directions to mount a bracket to the frame. you might want another set of hands to hold up the nose of the bike while you do this.
2) now it's time to mess with the damper body. you'll have to remove the heim bearing from the damper body clamp, insert the block (square aluminum block with a corner cut out) then screw the heim into the block.
3) now put the clamp on the left suspension piston. what the direction's show is the clamp affixed 10mm below the handlebar clamp-on. this 10 mm is important otherwise there will be collision with your clutch lever. the directions also say something like 30degrees offset. this is a good starting point, but you'll need to spend some time making sure that the damper body clamp doesn't bind with the speedo cluster's mounts.

it's not too bad once you realize how the block fits in, the rest is just turning the handle bars back and forth and adjust to make sure nothing binds...

these are pretty crappy directions, but it's better than nothing, i hope...
good post. are these things pretty sturdy once clamped down? and more importantly how's it working for ya? any noticeable change yet?

Old 03-26-2009, 01:39 PM

i broke a clutch-spring retaining bolt, so she's out till this weekend i have no idea how it rides. as far as sturdy... one of my earlier posts mentions that the damper body isn't clamped down and i'm nervous that it'll shift and find something to bind with... it's still a concern, but again, i haven't ridden with it yet so i'll just have to wait and see

Old 03-26-2009, 08:37 PM

Hi Guys, I am looking at getting a shindy also... would you reccomend it or should I buy a ohlins or something dearer.

Thanks

Jimmy

Old 04-06-2009, 08:21 AM

So the weather finally is cooperating with my schedule and I got out on the bike. I'm happy with my purchase, and no real complaints yet. a few things I'll point out to those on the fence about a Shindy: if you have the money you'll probably want to go for an Ohlins, Scotts or GPR. If you don't have that money, any damper is better than no damper (i can say for sure, now). The rod of the damper is very close to the clutch lever, so watch out making right turns in parking lots, you may pinch your finger releasing the clutch. Probably just my stupidity, but watch yourself in low speed maneuvers, i was leaning like i used too, but almost couldn't turn the bars fast enough to catch myself cause the damper was... well, damping. Very close to making an *** outta myself there :-). Next weekend i may take out the heim from the block and put some thread lock in there. again, i don't want it sagging after a few hundred miles. all-in-all, pretty good and i'm happy.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:10 PM

I got a Sprint 916-style, new, off eBay for around $350 and couldn't be happier with it. Easy to mount, easy to use, lots of adjustment, and (arguably) better looking than the Scotts type. Recommended.

http://www.sprintdampers.co.uk/index...id=93&sssid=82

Old 04-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for sprint

Install seems a lot simpler than Shindy ones (though I've never used a shindy).

The sprint is more out in the open but has nothing to bind with. And it doesn't seem to get in the way like Packdog was saying his did.