CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Pulling the tank to start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling the tank to start.

So i got a little issue, I rode my bike about 200 miles or so crusing yesterday. Pretty fun, although i was all by myself. Not the issue though, it sarted a little rough. had to crank it a bit to start finally did, today won't start. Fuel pump is priming, will crank but thats it. This has been happening since i changed my coils and sparks plugs. If i pull the tank off very so slightly and set it back down it will start instantly, thats how i kinda figured it was not the plugs or the coils(i think). Some times it will fire first try some times i have to turn on and off the fuel pump and then it will kick. Like today i had to pull the tank, It's statrting to tick me off. once it startes i can ride all day turning it off at all my stops and will start fine. After a day or more of park it won't(not all the time either) some times it will start every day for weeks then when i'm ready to ride it won't start(Murphey's law i guess).

I repulled the tank and made sure everything was connected prop and nothing kinked, which to me everything looks perfect. I've only had this bike for maybe 3 months with maybe 2000 miles on it from me within a couple of weeks, I talked to previous owner and said he never had a problem like that.

Would it be the fuel pump? I can say all my previous bikes had all been carbed and never had a issue like this.

Any idea's would help a lot.

Thanks

Old 05-17-2011, 09:05 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I gather this is a fuel-injected bike? I've never owned one, but I gather that they are computer-choked, no manual choke control.

What you are descibing sounds like what happens when a carberated engine is started without using the choke. So I'm thinking, something in the enrichment circuit? A temp sensor or some-such not telling the computer that the bike is cold?

This is just Ern-speak, so take it with a grain of salt, but it's my best guess.

Ern

Old 05-18-2011, 10:56 AM

Its FI so it will choke itself....your pump is priming so its not the pump unless you are clogged. Is your pump priming everytime? You say you lift the tank slightly and it fires, to me its an electrical issue or a slight kink in your lines. I wouldnt say fouled plug because you say it runs fine when it is running....

Old 05-18-2011, 07:06 PM

Primes every time, today i repulled the tank and still did not fire. Moved around the gas line and fired, so i'm going to rerun the line; also changing the fuel filter. Hopefully with those 2 things fix's the issue, crossing fingers. Also was told to pull the pcIII for a bit, won't this actually hurt the bike more?