CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

How to weelie on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to weelie on the highway

I recently bought a 2K 929RR and I am having trouble getting it up at fast speeds. I am reving the engine up to about 7-8K at around 50mph but when I pull the clutch in and release it (or pop it) the bike jsut jerks up a little and doesnt come close to coming up. The guy who sold me the bike said he put a slightly smaller sprocket on the bike, could that effect it? I'm still learnign so any help would be appriciated. thanks

Old 01-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Default RE: How to weelie on the highway

I am in no way a "wheelie master", so I hope this is correct! I do however know that if you change the gearing, especially with going with a smaller REAR sprocket, this would decrease the amount of torque that you'd have for wheelies. However, a smaller FRONT sprocket would give you more torque. Do you know which he changed??

Old 01-07-2008, 01:12 PM

Could you do it on your old bike?

(anyone guess where this is going?)

Old 01-07-2008, 02:20 PM

I'll be the dick to say it then. If you dont know how the sprockets affect your motorcycle, the last thing you should be doing is stunting that bitch at speed let alone on a highway. You'll have better luck in the "Stunta" section below.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:22 PM

Chances are he put a smaller sproket in the front. Easiest way is to go look at the sprokets, the number of teeth is stamped into it. the Stock rear is 42T and the front Stock is 16T.

The back is easy to read
for the front, pop off the black cover over the sproket (next to your shift lever)

For faster accelerating/torque you want to go Down in the front size and up in the back.

also give this a read.. (from Stuntlife.com)

[i]Following this advice won’t keep you from crashing, getting hurt, and breaking stuff; but it will, most likely, help you learn faster while crashing less often than if you figure everything out on your own.

Bike setup for wheelies

Oil: Many bikes will become oil starved when riding long wheelies, and doing 12 o-clock wheelies. Gixxers and cbr 900s ('93-'95 893cc model) are the most notorious for this. To keep the bike from becoming oil starved, either move the oil pickup in the oil pan back, or overfill the oil. Myself and some others on this forum run 1 quart over. Overfilling doesn't seem to cause any problems with hondas, but I have read of problems with gixxers as a result of this. So the best thing for a gixxer would probably be to fix the oil pickup. You can buy modified oil pickups for gixxers from www.stuntex.com .

Gears: For learning, gearing the bike down is unnecessary. Almost every sportbike will wheelie in first gear without any problem (maybe the ex250 is an exception). Also gearing to make second gear come up easier is kind of pointless because it just becomes more like first gear with big sprockets. If it doesn’t wheelie in first gear, it isn’t the bike’s fault. For the most part, gears are unnecessary until you are ready to learn highchairs (on a weak 600), no throttle hand wheelies, and circles.

Tires: When doing high-speed wheelies make sure you have a good rear tire. A tire with a flat spot in the middle can cause wobbles. I learned wheelies on a rear tire that was almost down to the cords in the middle, and it would often wobble like crazy when doing balance point wheelies. A new tire almost completely eliminated that problem. Run the tire pressure lower than stock. For doing wheelies above 20 mph, have the tire pressure between 20 and 30psi. For doing wheelies slower than 20 mph, lower the pressure to between 12 and 20. 18-20 psi makes for a good all around psi. Lower tire pressure makes the wheelie more stable from side to side.

Tip over sensor:
Most (or all, I’m not sure) bikes with fuel injection have a tip over sensor. This can cause the bike to shut off when riding wheelies high. This should be disabled. For Hondas this can be done by cutting the wires going into the sensor, connecting the two outer wires, and leaving the middle one hanging. For gixxers, that method doesn’t work. The brass ring in the sensor must be removed, or immobilized with something such as silicone.

Steering Damper: While it isn’t imperative that you have a steering damper for doing wheelies, it might save your ***. If you come down from a wheelie with the front wheel crooked, it could cause a tank slapper. This shouldn’t be a problem, though; if you make sure the front wheel is strait when you put it down.

Exhaust pipe: If learning 12s, the pipe may have to be shortened. The stock pipes on some bikes touch the ground at about the same time as the tail when doing a 12 o-clock wheelie. If the pipe hits the ground, it may cause you to crash. My friend just went down a week ago because of this. The pipe can be shortened by simply cutting a few inches off the end of the pipe, and then re-welding / re-riveting the end of the pipe back on. Short pipes can also be bought from www.starboyz.com.

Cage: In the process of learning to ride wheelies good, you will most likely drop your bike. Crash cages provi

Old 01-07-2008, 02:58 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: NY Erion929

Chances are he put a smaller sproket in the front. Easiest way is to go look at the sprokets, the number of teeth is stamped into it. the Stock rear is 42T and the front Stock is 16T.[quote]

the stock gearing on my 2000 929 is 16 front and 43 rear

Old 01-07-2008, 09:22 PM

+1 i also have 43 rear 16 front,when i bought my bike the guy had a 53 tooth on the rear HOLY TOURQUE it would come up under acceleration in 4th and 5th gear to much for me!! However i do agree if your not sure how sprockets affect the performance of your bike prob not a good idea to practice on the freeway gear up and find a closed local where you can practice if thats the type of thing you want to do goodluck keep us posted on your progress oh yea did i say goodluck LOL

Old 01-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[sm=badidea.gif]

Old 01-07-2008, 11:32 PM

if u don't know how to wheelie on the highway, GOOD, DON'T DO IT!!! find a local business park or something of that nature to stunt at...the highway is not the place for stunting...however, if u just can't live without endangering innocent people, please let me know where u ride so i can keep myself and my family away from u...

Old 01-08-2008, 10:03 AM

Hes from San Diego. I hope he dosent kill me when I am down there riding.

Quick Reply: How to weelie on the highway