CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Head lights not working.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head lights not working.

Ok, heres the deal. headlights worked fine last night. But today i wen't for a 5 mile test run with my new chain and sprockets(which worked great). But a heard of motorcycle cops had some sort of speed trap set up and they had me pull over. Turns out my head lights are not working and gave me a 70 dollor ticket. also my plate was sideways off the axel [:@]

anyhow, i checked the fuses and there all good. the bulbs look ok as well. all 3 of them. any ideas what may have caused this? any ideas on how to fix it?

thanks in advance.

Old 03-16-2006, 08:19 PM
Default RE: Head lights not working.

I'll check my manual tonight when I get home and get back to you - gotta be a relay involved....

Old 03-16-2006, 09:11 PM

thank you very much. any help is greatly apreciated. and i never knew it was illegal to drive without a headlight in the middle of the day in florida.

Old 03-16-2006, 10:36 PM

****ty man. when this happend to me it was where all the headlights and everthing hook together in a white connecter there on the right side of the front cowl. anyway one of the connections in there had rusted. all i had to do was clean it and my headlights worked fine again after that.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:51 PM

do i need to remove the whole front cowl to get to it?

Old 03-17-2006, 12:01 AM

Yeah, QuinC's idea is the one I'd go after first. I think you can get to that connector without removing the cowl, but I'm not sure about that.
There is a headlight relay just behind the instrument cluster on the left side, and that could have dropped dead, but you always check connections first. Good luck.

Old 03-17-2006, 04:07 AM

no you can reach in there and grab it. you might have to take off that little black fairing pice..cant remember but you dont need to take the cowl off.

Old 03-17-2006, 09:44 AM

so the connector was visualy coroaded?

also, where is the relay located for the headlights? maybe i can tap it a bit and free it loose.

Old 03-17-2006, 03:00 PM

ok, i fiddled with those connectors on the right side under the air duct like you said. i couldn't get that big harness apart to clean it. so i just tapped it a bit to free any corrosion or something. well, it didn't work. but 30 min later i got on the bike for a quick ride around the block and what do you know, when i start the bike the lights come on. wtf? so i rode it around for maybe 40 miles and did some wheelies, wen't over as many railroad tracks etc. to try and get it to turn off again and it never turned back off. lets just hope it stays this way .

Old 03-17-2006, 05:04 PM

Also, if you're like me and never satisfied just because something started working again ( I hate that ), you can fire it up, and with the lights on you can move the harness and tap on the connector while observing the brightness of the headlights - a bad connection may cause them to flicker, as would tapping on a borederline sick relay. The relay's behind the left side of the instrument cluster.

Quick Reply: Head lights not working.