CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Cracked Crank Case! Need Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked Crank Case! Need Help Please!

I have a 929rr that has a fairly small crack in the crank case just below the stator cover and was wondering what the options are to fix it and costs associated.

I believe the case it cast aluminum, so could I use HTS-2000 or Durafix to fix the issue? Does anyone have any experience in doing this type of repair using brazing rods? I have used JB weld on the crack but that only lasted a couple thousand miles with minor leaking. The crack has now spread and it leaks too much ride.

Thanks for the help!!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Cracked Crank Case!  Need Help Please!-cbr-crack.jpg  
Old 02-29-2012, 06:42 PM

I would weld it up and cost it shouldn't be to much if you know someone!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:52 PM

Thats pretty nasty! I know the feeling though, I have the same thing going on with my motor.

My motor is currently in the hands of Mfi (shop around my area), welding will be the cheapest method of permanently fixing the issue.

You could buy another lower crankcase too. I did that, it cost $175 all together. However unless the welding doesn't work I will try this method. It's a 50/50 chance the case will fit properly.

I'll keep you posted.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:41 AM

The guy I bought my 929 from said that the way the stator cover was designed on these bikes when they go down on that side it almost always results in a break of the crank case. He said the cheapest way to fix it is weld, but it will always sweat a little oil. If you buy an aftermarket billet stator cover, your way less likely to suffer this. Also he said that's the first thing he looks at on a 929 if he's thinking about purchasing. He buys a lot of wrecked bikes all over.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:05 PM

So what did you end up doing?

Anyways, I finally got my motor back from the shop! The guys there handed it over to an experienced welding shop that said they wouldn't do it. Then they tried to call some engineer for a racing team, and he told the shop "hell no".

So I... have it back now and will have to figure something on my own. What a waste of time.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:49 AM

Buying a replacement would b ur best bet. Th only reason they won't do it is cuz they don't want u going back an claiming they didn't do it right.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by fiddy_nutz
The guy I bought my 929 from said that the way the stator cover was designed on these bikes when they go down on that side it almost always results in a break of the crank case. He said the cheapest way to fix it is weld, but it will always sweat a little oil. If you buy an aftermarket billet stator cover, your way less likely to suffer this. Also he said that's the first thing he looks at on a 929 if he's thinking about purchasing. He buys a lot of wrecked bikes all over.
Thats exactly what happened to mine. Small piece about size a quarter broke off. Finally got it welded back on but it took a few trips to find a shop that will touch it without taking apart the whole engine to take in just the crankcase. Keep trying to find a shop locally I'm sure you'll find one just takes time which could be an inconvienence but I hope you get her running again soon.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:46 PM

Hey where can I get a new lower crankcase for 175? Im in dire need .. Thx in advance fellas

Old 06-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a general word of advice when you are asking about where to find/buy things...

If someone (who is not a senior member, with 100+ posts) offers to "hook you up"
with something "they just have lying around", it has been our collective experience
that responding to such "help" will leave you without your cash and without the part you needed.

That's why we have a zero-tolerance policy for offering anything for sell, without first
establishing who you are with 100+ posts. It shows they didn't just create the account
to take advantage of your needs/misfortune.

If someone wants to give it to you for FREE, as a way to help out, COOL!
No problem there. However, making any other type offer to help is the fast-track to a ban.

I hope this helps, Ern

Last edited by MadHattr059; 06-19-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Kolincj
I have a 929rr that has a fairly small crack in the crank case just below the stator cover and was wondering what the options are to fix it and costs associated.

I believe the case it cast aluminum, so could I use HTS-2000 or Durafix to fix the issue? Does anyone have any experience in doing this type of repair using brazing rods? I have used JB weld on the crack but that only lasted a couple thousand miles with minor leaking. The crack has now spread and it leaks too much ride.

Thanks for the help!!!!!!

Hi Kolincj

I don’t know if you’ll get this but how did you know the crack spread?