CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Clutch problems and downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Registered Users
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch problems and downshifting

OK, here is the problem: when im in 1st gear and im sqeezing the clutch lever my bike is still moving forward(kind of like its in friction point even though the clutch is squeezed all the way), also when i try to downshift from second into neutral or to 1st, i need to press really hard or sometimes it doesnt even let me. It wasnt ever doing it before. PLease feel free to tell your thoughts, thank you

Old 01-24-2009, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Clutch problems and downshifting

sounds like you might need to adjust the slack out of your clutch cable, you can do this right up on the left clip on where it goes into the clutch lever, tun the screw counter clockwise until you get the slack out, but you want to leave a little slack or you will burn your clutch up. if that dosent help it might need a new clutch

Old 01-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Registered Users

YeahYeah i did that and now I have like no friction zone almost at all any other thoughts, thank you for the reply though

Old 01-25-2009, 08:32 PM

sounds like the clutch then, ive seen some bikes do this if the clutchsprings get too hot, but if your saying that you adjusted it and its still fd up then it probably need a clutch

Old 01-26-2009, 08:15 AM

i would def. suggest tearing into the clutch to inspect and measure plates. you may have a broken plate causing the stick. I'd be very hesitant to ride until inspected. shouldn't take you more than an hour and you don't even need to drain the oil if you put it on her side. you could also have a failing lift lever (not on your handle bars, but the twisting bit inside the clutch cover plate.)

Old 01-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

it could be something as simple as the clutch rod that hooks to your clutch cable. mine snapped on my last 929 while riding preventing me from down shifting. it was starting to fail on me and i would be at a stop light , pull in the clutch (have it in 1st gear) and she would pull forward, just enough for me to feel that something wasnt right.

pull off your clutch cover and make sure your clutch rod is in the correct position to pull the pin on the clutch plates. if it isnt that could be whats causing the problem... or your clutch could be bad.. or you have a worn out clutch cable..

Old 01-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Registered Users

Thank you

Old 01-31-2009, 07:22 AM

there is a recall on late 2000 and 2001 models 929 tthe clutch start to come apart at high speed or somthing i would have the VIN ran at a dealership to see if its been done befor u go teasring into things the recall is posted in one of these fourms

Old 01-31-2009, 01:03 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by showerslll@yahoo.com
there is a recall on late 2000 and 2001 models 929 tthe clutch start to come apart at high speed or somthing i would have the VIN ran at a dealership to see if its been done befor u go teasring into things the recall is posted in one of these fourms
Hehe, already did that, they say my VIN does not apply, thank you though

Old 02-01-2009, 12:39 PM

where can i get more info on the recall? i searche dit but didnt find anythng.

Quick Reply: Clutch problems and downshifting