CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Year advice for project

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Year advice for project

Even though I'm still not finished with a '99 F4 restoration project, I have the inexplicable desire to start working on another one at the same time -- a '9X 900RR. I remember lusting after the '93-'95 dual round headlight models, although I never owned one. There's a '94 900RR for sale near me, estimated mid-20K miles, crash damage to the front end (plastics/forks), supposedly fires right up and runs strong. I haven't looked at it in person yet, so I can't confirm the full extent of the damage, but from the pictures, it seems as though it hit a deer/object head-on, vs. sliding down the road on its side at a high rate of speed. Asking price is $1500, which I would negotiate based on what needs to be replaced.

My question is this...would the '94 make a good platform for a restore, or should I hold out for a '95-'99? I realize the '96-'99 RRs don't have the cool round headlights and highly perforated fairings, but there are other obvious benefits to consider (displacement, engine internals, frame, suspension, not having been driven into immobile objects, etc.). The '98/'99 models seem to be commanding considerably high prices around me, anyway, so that may rule them out. I'm not looking to spend $3500-$4500 (initially) on a project bike...my preference is to pick something up in the $2500 or less range and THEN proceed to dump way too much money into it.

Please chime in and sway me one way or the other...thanks!

Old 05-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Member & ROTM AUG 2013

It all depends on what you want. Do you dual round lights or not. 95's had revised suspension. The holes in farings got less with each newer year. I look for a 93-94 for awhile. Then I found my 95. I love it. I still want a first or 2nd year one. I say go 95. They only came in 2 colors. White,purple,green and blk,purple,yellow.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the reply...I had a '95 F3 in the same colors as your bike, brand new in '95.

Looks like I made a mistake in my first post...the '95s didn't have the round headlights.

I may hold off on the crash damaged '94 unless I can really steal it...there's a '95 for $2000 with no damage and a '96 for $2500 that I'm now considering.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:15 AM
Member & ROTM AUG 2013

thats funny, I was thinking of getting the little brother to mine (95 F3), but I don't think I could ride anything smaller then the 900..LOL

Also to conisder do you want to make it custom or restore to original?
Then the color combo will come into play.
96's only came in red/black.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:06 AM

Good question...I'd prefer to restore to the original colors. That's one of the things that I think make these bikes stand out...I really like both '93 colors, and the '94 white/black/red. The earlier bikes that have been re-painted a solid color don't catch my eye nearly as much. I think that the rear cowls in particular need the multi-color scheme break up to keep them from looking too porky.

My F4 I painted the factory Italian Red, with a pearl mixed in to be a little different. I guess it would be nice to have a different color than another solid red bike (i.e. a '96), but then...having two red bikes...maybe my wife wouldn't be able to tell the difference and I wouldn't have to explain a 3rd bike in the garage...hmmmm. (kidding).

Old 05-22-2013, 10:37 PM

I went and looked at the '94 today...17K miles. Plastics were toast. Tank was dented in a number of places, no fairing stay, (working) gauges were floating in the breeze. Headlight(s) worked when the battery was hooked up to the charger. Forks looked much better than I thought. Engine looked good...no drips or leaks. Battery was so dead that it wouldn't turn over when I was there. I tallied up the major things I estimated I'd need to fix and subtracted based on an average retail of $2200. I offered him $1100 on the condition of hearing it run. A couple others came by to look at it tonight, and one of them offered $1300.

To be honest, I don't feel bad about "losing" this one. I overpaid for my last restore candidate, because I just based my offer on relative book value rather than really totaling up replacement costs. While I don't think it's worth it to miss out over a couple hundred bucks on a particularly amazing example, I'm wiser now. The guy who bought it for $1300 might put it back on the road as a beater for $500, but I would have sunk at least 5 times that into the bike bringing it back to pristine condition. While this is certainly not an investment, there are some sensical limitations.

OK, now that I've talked myself through a self-therapy session, why do I find myself drawn to an exceptionally clean '93 in white/red/blue that is listed for $3299?

Old 05-23-2013, 06:23 AM
Member & ROTM AUG 2013

go for it, less work you'll need to put in it..Well sorta of..
I missed out on a 93 R/W/B with trashed/faded plastics, no title. been sitting for 5 yrs. brakes didnt work. motor ran though 31K on it. No title...was 800.00
I couldnt go see it because I was working. Got sold in 1 day off craiglist...Dam..I wanted it.. I will find a 93-94 one day. Good luck in your search.

How many miles on the 93? I got mine with 20,982 for 3600 up in utah. had it shipped to altanta for 700. So total was 4200 for mint condition 95. I love it. aready put 500+ in it.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:40 PM
Default Uh, oh...

I may have bought a bike.

'93 in red/white/blue. Working everything. 21K...miles, that is. Hindle slip-on, carbon hugger. Otherwise unmolested except for a few stickers that will be ripped off as soon as I unload it from the truck and and flush-mount blinkers attached directly to the sides of the rear cowl. Good tires/chain/sprocket, just had valves adjusted. Carburetion is spot on; no stumbles in idle or hesitation when the engine is revved.

Some of the clear coat on the very top of the tank is missing, and there is a very small dent towards the back. There are no cracks at all in the plastics, although there are a few rubs here and there and a couple deeper scratches that have gone through the decals in a few places. All in all, considering that it is a 20-year old bike, it is in really good shape. Not mint, but with a quick clear coat fix, I am going to be able to actually drive it around this season and wait to strip it down until the winter for a more complete restore.

Anyway, my verbal offer was accepted, hence the "may have bought a bike" statement. Assuming it goes through as expected, I certainly won't have stolen it (listed $3300, offered $3000), but I just don't know if I am going to find another one in condition this good in these colors. The deal is scheduled to happen when I am back for the long weekend on Tuesday.

My birthday is June 1...I told my wife not to buy me a present...

Old 05-24-2013, 06:11 AM
Member & ROTM AUG 2013

sweet..Post a pic when you get it. PM me your address and I'll get CD out to you.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Default Well...

As you can probably tell from my lack of follow-up post, I bailed on the deal. I had the weekend to think about it, and decided it was not a good purchase for me at this specific moment in time -- with another bike still in pieces. Still really want to do this for my next project...thanks, Vinman911...I may still take you up on that CD at a later date.