CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

World Record attempt - 1993 Cbr900rr as quick as possible in 160ft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Record attempt - 1993 Cbr900rr as quick as possible in 160ft?

Hi
I was wondering if i could get some help from you guys
At colledge our class is curently trying to beat the indoor land speed record on a CBR900R 1993. We have to do up the bike to go as fast as possible in 160ft inside a building, in this 160ft we will have to accelarete reach as high speed as possible and then come to a complete stop(hopefuly not making any holes through the brick work).
The problems are that we do not have any money to spend on this unless we scrape a little bit together or borrow some parts, also that all modifications to the bike can be removed after and for the bike to be returned to its standard fourm.
Does any body have any ideas what we could do to the bike to make it complete this challenge?

Thanks Student Bikers Speed Attempt L2

Old 11-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cheapest start is lightening it up. Strip everything off that doesn't make it go
forward and aerodynamic. Rip the battery out and bump start it. Pull the guages,
passenger pegs, fenders, side stand, etc.

Consider the sprockets carefully, that's gonna make a differnce. Go to the 520 chain.
Rebuild the wheel bearings. Consider a mylar-heat shrink sheating over wire ribbing as
a replacement for the fairing.

Do some outdoor runs and see if you really need both front disks or possibly strip the
rear brake and caliper. Use some traffic cones, to mark your course and then start
beating it. You only have to do the 2-3 record runs indoors, so don't get fixtated on
that for practice. Clock all the candidates and see who's got the chops for the fastest
run. Then PRACTISE a LOT. Hopefully he/she is small in stature/weight, as well.

Pull the tank, replace it with a lawn-mower fuel tank.

Since you're trying to break a record, what IS the record speed/braking distance?

Not to eliminate the obvious, tune the engine. If you can get sponsers, maybe some
dynamo time, I doubt nitrous is gonna help, but blowing or turbo-chargeing the engine
probably would.

Get the English or multi-media department of the college on-board to intern their
sales pitch for you, on the sponsership front.

Good luck, keep us posted, Ern