CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Won't Start - Who's the genius to solve this one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007 | 11:31 PM
Default Won't Start - Who's the genius to solve this one?

[hr]Here's The Story - I have a 900RR motor in a Sand Rail. I don't know the engine year but it's got Carbs and I believe the rail was built in '99. While at the dunes I hit the nose in the hand coming out of a tight valley causing sand to get thrown into the air. Just seconds after the motor bogged out and died. Checked the Carbs - full of Sand (It don't think all from this one instant but still full of sand) Pulled the Carbs and cleaned them like no other. Intake was gritty and sandy but not near as much as the carbs - clenaed the intake ports and around the valve stems. Tried the motor again - won't start. Tried new plugs and starter fluid - won't start. Fuel pump is pumping, Bowls of Carbs are full. I know the Valves are all moving and from looking at them are functional. The old plugs had a week spark, I don't know yet how well the new plugs are doing.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________
UPDATE:

First off thanks for the ideas here. I did put in the new plugs and nothing. I pulled one and held it to a ground and I'm getting spark but it isn't the best spark I've ever seen. Could something be causing me to get a weak spark? Maybe some sensor or bad wire? It looks more like a static electric spark rather than a sharp, snappy spark like you would get from a car or truck plug. I didn't put my tounge to it yet to see how good it was but I thought about it.

We ride at Sand Mountain in the Little Saraha Dunes in Utah. This rail is totally wicked (when in runs).

Thanks again for the ideas.

Old 05-04-2007 | 12:03 AM
Default RE: Won't Start - Who's the genius to solve this one?

not a genious,k
but between the carbs, in the center of the rail { 2 carbs per side}
in a intake / fuel bowl filter/breather has a "t" at the carbs, a short 4" hose connected to a small box{breather with filter}

in mine the filter got clogged, and couldnt start, when the bowls/floats did get air, it flooded each time trying to start.
my .02 cents for now.
took 3 sets of plugs and lots of dismantle/dissasemblys to finally figure this out filter has to let air into the float chambers so fuel can flow
correctly, or is starved then flooded.
if you didnt check your jets, i'd take them out and check them also. just a question, mine is 96 carbs, no fuel pump,.sure yours has one?
technically it has fuel pump now to run the nitrous, but prior was gravity feed to the carbs,
michael

Old 05-05-2007 | 11:55 PM

ORIGINAL: SandSucker

[hr]Tried new plugs and starter fluid - won't start. Fuel pump is pumping, Bowls of Carbs are full. I know the Valves are all moving and from looking at them are functional. The old plugs had a week spark, I don't know yet how well the new plugs are doing.

From what you are indicating (by using the starting fluid) you have no spark. Starting fluid bypasses the carbs and provides a source of combustion for the engine.

K.... so what I was saying is double check to see that the new spark plugs are making spark

Old 05-05-2007 | 11:58 PM

PS... A 900RR powered sandrail? You are killing me.

Old 05-06-2007 | 03:33 AM

GREAT point from cloudbreakmd.... sounds like no spark.
What dunes do you ride??? I grew up with ATVs in Pismo Beach, CA. Lots of great memories out in the dunes!

Old 05-07-2007 | 08:41 AM

No spark condition: Check the coils, and heat pattern on the plugs. Try crankin it and then pulla coupleplugs off quickly after and check if they're wet, that'll verify no spark. Could also a fuel flow issue, but I'd make sure I have plenty of spark first.

Old 05-08-2007 | 12:22 AM

[hr]First off thanks for the ideas here. I did put in the new plugs and nothing. I pulled one and held it to a ground and I'm getting spark but it isn't the best spark I've ever seen. Could something be causing me to get a week spark? Maybe some sensor or bad wire? It looks more like a static electric spark rather than a sharp, snappy spark like you would get from a car or truck plug. I didn't put my tounge to it yet to see how good it was but I thought about it.

We ride at Sand Mountain in the Little Saraha Dunes in Utah. This rail is totally wicked (when in runs).

Thanks again for the ideas.

Old 05-23-2007 | 10:57 PM

[hr]Just to let Ya'll know - turns out I some how jumped a tooth on the exhaust cam. Always remember - Fuel, Spark, Compression.