CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

What is a PERFECT 94 RR Worth???

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 03:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a PERFECT 94 RR Worth???

I have recently been looking for a first generation 900RR (93-94) and everything I have found has well over 10K on the clock, Slight stress fractures on the fairings (sometimes full cracks), what seems to be valve train noise at idle, no history and a $4k price tag.

By FLUKE I found a PERFECT (eat off it clean) 1994 (White/Black/Red) 900rr with 4800 miles on the clock. The bike is a perfect ten, completly STOCK, owned by a 60 year old gentelman who owns 9 other cycles. I can genuinely say that this bike has NEVER been raced (tracked)

He just put it's first set of new tires on, it has every shread of original paperwork, both keys, toolset and he is asking $4000

After looking at book & street value $4k seems fair, but because I am only looking in one region of the USA I would like to make sure I'm not making an expensive mistake.

I can accuratly acess if something has been exceptionaly cared for as I am BEYOND detail oriented with everything that I own, but I wanted to get advice of forum experts that truly understand what this bike is worth (Value)

Again this bike is BONE stock ( I know what your thinking, he took all the plastic / pipe off tracked it and put it back together, this is not the case ) Stock pipe, grips, barends, levers (no play) etc. This bike has truly never been riden in the rain

ANy and all through put would be greatly appreciated, as I am MORE than interested in this perfect example of a first gen rr.

On a side note is it true that the 93 frame was more suitable (stiff) for the track than the 1994 (streetable) frame?

To say I know NOTHING technically about this bike is an understatement so go easy on me....

Cheers!

Old 05-12-2005, 05:42 AM
Default RE: What is a PERFECT 94 RR Worth???

The first year the CBR900RR was released was actually 1992. There are very few in the states though. The 93 and 94 machines are solid bikes. The Frames are identical. In fact no modifications were made to the frame cast until 1995 and again in 96.

For future info. Most parts are interchangable from 93 to 94 96 to 97 98 to 99. Many parts cross over from 97-99. 1995 is the true oddity. While many parts are similar to to 93 94 it also share comon parts with 96 97 but it is the only year that has some parts that are unique to 1995.

I buy and sell 900rr's. If this bike is as clean as it seams and has only 4,800 on the console I would buy it. Before I did I would verify the valve clearance because at 4,800 miles the valves should not need adjusting. The first adjustment is at 16k. If they are out someone has disconnected the speedo cable from the front wheel for some time..... Next thing I would check is compression and leak down test. If all is spec I might even pay more than $4,000 for it.

If you do purchase the bike and are planning on keeping it stock I would recomend sticking with the Battleaxe front tire. This tire was designed with Honda to have a taller profile in order to get the stock 16inch front wheel to respond like a 17 inch wheel in the turns. If you put another brand on the front that has a different profile the bike suddenly becomes a handfull. This has been a very controversial issue among Honda owners. Personally I put the 17inch wheels on the front and then alter the fork position in the triple trees in order to set the bike at its correct rake and trail. The 17 inch front wheel is nice because you have way more options for front tires. This problem is really noticable on the 93 and 94 the 95 and newer have upgraded front suspension and the use of another tire brand on the stock 16 inch front doesn't seem to affect the handling as much.

If you do purchase the 94 please post some pics.

Mike
CTSmoto
http://cts.theallureimage.com/

Old 06-02-2005, 12:24 PM

Sounds like you know plenty about the 900RR's. Thats some great info. Thanks for sharing. I learned a few things [8D]

Old 06-16-2005, 07:54 PM

Yeah same here, how hard it is to check your valve clearances. I am pretty mechanically apt. But was wondering if it would be a good idea to take that one down to the local shop to have taken care of.