CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Wax or Lube?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wax or Lube?????

Lol, holy hell this topic is out of control. I feel somewhat responsible but hey, its all in good fun. I say that the folks who have used the stuff forever shoul stick with what they like and these rest of us young bloods should just get a grunge brush and a wad of rags and get down and dirty with it. I have never really cleaned my chain, I just spray a bit of wd40 on a rag and that makes it slide easily as I spin the rear tire and hold the rag on the chain. A few dozen revolutions after using the grunge brush should do the trick. Mind you this is after a good ride where everything is warm and loose and ready to be cleaned. In terms of getting in those sealed area, who the hell really cares? As long as you don't have the chain clogged to **** with the dirt and grime, and keep soaking the selaed areas in fresh lube or wax every 200 miles, you should never have an issue. I think this is one of those things that people overthink, and really its not that important. I made my previous posts on the issue because I didn't think that the WD40 was a great ideal as a real chain soaker, thats all. It works great as a rag soaker to cut through the surface ****. Maybe my chain never really gets that dirty? Point is that its your call as an individual, and as long as your not misinformaed and truly damaging your chain with solvents then your not going to be setting yourself back. Lets cut the Classis Australian and all the other old timers who have been around the block a break. The best idea is to keep thing clean enough so you don't have a three hour cleaning job, again, it all comes down to regular PREVENTATIVE maintenance. This has been a fun post though, I love how seriosu we all get over these tiny little things. Keep it up!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I just had to jump in on this one. Now if you wanna go with Honda then you only use 80w to 90w gear lube to lube your chain after it is warm of course. Plain chain lube cancontains these "solvents" that everyone keeps saying will damage your O or X rings. As for cleaning I know the Haynes manual says to clean with kerosene, but not gasoline as gas has solvents that may damage the chain. It says as long as you only soak it for about 5-6 minutes then blow out with compressed air immediately then it will not do any damage. The entire process should not take more than 10 minutes. Personally I don't know about it but that is whats in the Haynes manual for our bike. As for the lube being gear lube that one is from Honda themselves. Also I knowthat it is recommended notto use a chain with a clip style master link, though when I got my bike it had one on it.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:25 AM

HA HA HA HA!!! Never had I thought that such a simple thread could get this complex. What next dudes, someone coming here to say that they heard someone using old MacDonalds oil on their chain.

PS: Dont do that newbies, you will seriously stuff your chain up.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:55 AM

Old 09-17-2008, 10:28 AM

Personally I kike to throw mine in the dishwasher and put it on the heavy duty cycle with a whole box of detergent
Na J/K

Old 09-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Duke and cbrclassic; you guys are making me hungry!

Old 09-17-2008, 09:05 PM

A burger and fries for me please

On a more serious note [&o]I gotta go with the "NO wd-40 for my chain" crew

If all else fails and you are still confused and I don't blame you, just call a bunch of Honda dealers and ask for the service dept. Ask them what they think. Since they are Honda certified you'd think they would know what's best for our Honda chains.

Quick Reply: Wax or Lube?????