CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Wax or Lube?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wax or Lube?????

Well put my Australian friend. Regular maintenance does the trick on just about anything. I will admit I get a little caught up in the details sometimes and its easy to overlook what simply works. As long as no one tries to us the WD40 as a pure lube then it really should be of no concern. I will default to your extreme level of experience on this one and we both walk away the wiser. If its worked for you in the dusty *** outback then I think that it will work for just about anyone. I also never ever get my chain wet so I am a bit ignorant to that effect on my chain.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CBRclassic that is a very nice bike! Bet you get a ton of compliments on it.

Looks like it's just the right size for you too

Old 09-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason why we need to wipe off the dirt is to get a better penetration of the lube or wax into the chain. I just prefer to wipe it off with a cloth and apply the wax; not all the time but periodically. No WD-40 as well.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:35 PM

WD-40 is diluted solvent in a water base, and it shouldn't be used on, well, anything except household hardware like hinges, etc. The small amount of lubricant in WD-40 is very light weight and not persistant enough to cling to moving parts. Especially high speed chains. I know it is a product with a lot of cultural cred, but so does duct tape and would you use that on your bike? Sure, I know a lot of people use it to clean their chains without any problems. The people that do any chain maintaince probably don't let the chain and sprocket wear enough that the solvent from the WD makes much of a difference. Roller chain is some strong, durable material and the solvent in WD is so diluted that it probably isn't going to really damage the chain, but it is definetly not helping it beyond pushing off built up dirt and grime.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:20 AM

Now I'm feeling how MT Wallet felt like about his charging issue when people were giving him advice in different directions all of the time. I'm in the same direction as DBRclassic, I just want to find something to strip the grime off and then either lube or wax it. I do know that WD-40 is a powerful grime cleaner but I dont want it to damage my chain. I have been using a chain cleaner from a bike shop that works ok but not well enough for chain wax.

All I want to know is what will protect my chain better wax or lube.

Thanks everyone for your input so far

Old 09-16-2008, 01:40 PM

I should clarify, WD-40 is a really bad cleaner. It won't work well because it is water based. Wax and petro lubes just repel the water, and the water will also cause parts to rust. The solvent can also damage x-ring and o-ring seals if left on long enough. I've been using bean clean. Can get it here: http://www.chaindrain.com/

It's completely safe for x-rings and o-rings, it's made from soybean oil so way less toxic than solvents, and it works like a ****.

Quick Reply: Wax or Lube?????