CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Transmission Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RockDawg
Thanks I want ahead and ordered the new parts online Cost me over $450 for 2 gears, shift drum and 2 forks, put it will look like new once completed.
And ride that much better too!

Old 10-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by exciter900rr
And ride that much better too!
LOL.. I'll try.. But speed shifting and going fast is in my blood . The cost of rebuilding the trans and the time it has taken may slow me down for a while though.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:37 AM

Well, finally took it apart last month and did it. Gears looked fine! Replaced a fork and put it back together... After that it still skips out of second. I took the whole motor to one of the guys that I ride with (owns and operates a bike shop) for a 30mm socket for the clutch and he even liked what he saw. Said I just saved a lot of money and time by not having to split the case and possibly compromise the crankshaft bearings. But whatever, not doing it again this season at least, looking to upgrade anyway... I'm thinking the spline on the shaft itself is bad. (?) How much do you think it worth the way it sits?

Old 04-19-2012, 02:37 PM

I am having the same problem with my 99. I am deployed right now and fixing to get home. I bought a complete tranny from a guy in the threads before I left. the 900 is known for also having a problem with the shift drum. that is something you may want to consider replacing also.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:23 AM

I have a 99 and it is the same tranny as the 98. the 97 is a different tranny. I believe I bought my tranny off od Rockdawg. It is a great tranny. My mechanic couldn't believe it's condition. I am deployed right now and I haven't had a chance to put it in but in 2 weeks I get to tear mine completely down to the frame and rebuild the tranny. I can't accelerate while in 2nd gear. my mechanic is a certified Honda mechanic and he has also said that the shift drum gets worn and that along with the shift forks is causing it to pop out of gear. he said if you hold your foot on the shifter and try to accelerate you will feel it push against your foot. that is the drum trying to spin. this is going to be a fun project and a learning experience. hopefully not an expensive learning experience. lol
sorry for the double post. dizzybirdsdad496 is my account that I created because I couldn't remember my account. found one of my old post. got it from there.
thanks

Last edited by Joey B; 04-20-2012 at 08:26 AM. Reason: remembered password and user name for my account
Old 04-20-2012, 10:52 AM

The shift drum can be replaced with the motor still in the frame also, there was a tut on that in the f4i section i think, shows how to remove your clutch to get to the shift drum, etc.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:51 AM

to do the shift forks you have to pull the engine though don't you? He seems to think I should replace them just to be safe. if you can find the link on that let me know. I am new to forums. just message me the link if you can find it or remember it. anything to make it easier.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:56 AM

yea you are right man, you have to split the cases. I just got my trans in - everything fits fine. I am still waiting on the gaskets to finish it all up.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:32 AM

I found the gaskets on eBay for cheap. the local dealer wanted almost $200 for the gaskets. I think I found them for $20 on eBay. did you do the Transmission yourself?

Old 04-22-2012, 11:29 AM

yes I took my 99 motor ( had spun a rod ) stripped it for the trans and shift forks etc. then tore into my 97 motor and swapped the trans out. waiting on my gaskets now to reseal it up.

If you do it yourself remove the clutch basket bolt before you tear the bike down, so you can bust it free with an impact. download the manual or buy one, it will tell you how to R & R, with bolt specs etc. It was pretty easy to do so far. If you need pointers or pics let me know my motor is still apart atm.

I ordered my parts from www.cheapcycleparts.com, they have good diagrams with there parts listing. I got my gasket kit for $50 or so and I still need to order the clutch.

Last edited by cobra1000rr; 04-22-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Help Needed