CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Tank petcock

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 11:38 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Tank petcock

Not sure what I’ve done but here goes.....last stage of winter clean and service done and all that was left was the fuel tank to put back on.
I decided to give the fuel a slosh around the tank and remove the tanks filter to see how it looked. First off, it sounded like an 8mm nut was in there. Not exactly a rattle can but ??
Then I took the fuel tap off to get at the tanks filter, well seeing as everything was going so well at this stage, guess what ?, the bloody thing didn’t want to budge.
Next thing ( you know when things aren’t going right and you should just walk away for a while ? Well I didn’t !) I did was to attempt to empty the fuel out completely by opening the cap and turning upside down, not a clever idea. Jeez there was probably about half a pint of fuel in there and gave up trying to get it all out. I didn’t want to use the petcock as an exit as i thought any debris in there was better off coming out and not blocking my fused filter. No sign of anything though, I did it through a cloth over a bucket to look for anything in the tank.
Next I tried to put the petcock back in and it was met by resistance at the top. It came out easily, but now a little pressure is required to slide the main tube in.
It’s all back together now but I think I might have caused an issue here. I’ve no fuel to try her, but thought I’d post to see if anyone had any ideas on what I’ve done to cause this or has an idea why my fuel tank turned into a rattle can.
Bad day up the garage !