CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Suspension tuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension tuning

I got my bike after being owned by a littler guy, and after the shakedown run I added a couple of clicks of preload in the rear shock and dropped the forks in the triple clamps by about 5mm. (I dont know why I did this, but always have done, on everything I ever owned.) and added half a turn or so to each and every screw for damping front and rear..

Blindly.

The bike handles OK, but I get a little headshake when coming out of a turn on the gas (too much gas) and know the rear is just spinning on the bumps I get to call a road.. Tires are not cheap, so I was wondering what to do to keep rear tire wear to a minimum, without any cracks about giving it less gas.. I have ZX10's and CBR1000RR's, not to mention a gaggle of R1's to despatch..

I dont even know if the top screw is compression or rebound.. Help, is obviously needed...

CJ

Old 01-31-2008, 11:05 AM
Default RE: Suspension tuning

The best I've found is to set up the bike as soft as possible but stiff enough to fight off front end dive when hard on the brakes and not overload the rear or front when cornering.
It's head shaking because you dropped the front in the forks. You can either raise it back up or put a damper on it to calm the head shake. The rear is spinning because it's too stiff. Let the bike squat and put some weight on the tire, however not so much that it wont finish off a corner or run wide. It's a fun balancing act.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/motor...ion/index.html

SO much to read and it's so time consuming but understanding how each affects cornering or stability is the key to getting it set up right. The preload it ONLY used to adjust sag. DO not use it to adjust ride height. Set sag first and formost. Start there and you will be on your way to getting it right.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...le_suspension/

Lots of reading but worth every minute of it.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:34 AM

Cheers for the info.... Not only do I have to learn everything there is to know about Ferrati Yachts, but it seems suspension tuning..

I miss my old fox shock on the FZ.. Click it 1 through 8.. and aircaps on the forks.. so easy, so simple..

CJ

Old 01-31-2008, 11:42 AM

Righty ho.. Thanks for the heads up.. My settings are not too far from whats reccomended..

I guess I have a lot of reading to do, what with suspension setup and Ferretti Yachts..

CJ