CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Rear axle Q

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear axle Q

I've read all the info on tire removal using the search feature...cool found lots of great stuff. One thing that still puzzles me. When you are putting it all back together and ready to slide the axle in, how do you know if it's not going to be out of alingment? Meaning, that the right side is slide farther back than the left side or vice versa, and the tire is all out of wack? Do you just eyeball it and hope its all good or what?
Just trying to get as much info on this as I can. Thanks!

Old 07-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Err
Default RE: Rear axle Q

i usually just use the marks on the side of the swingarm to get the wheel straight. i've heard that the little marks aren't real accurate, but i couldn't tell you for certain.

Old 07-22-2006, 12:54 AM

I carefully marked around the blocks that the axle goes through with a real sharp sharpie. Then when I put it back together, I made sure everything was in their original locations.

Just double check the chain rolls straight. Roll the rear tire with one hand while you look straight down the chain from the rear. It should be dead straight to the front sproket. If it has any bend left or right, you have an alignment issue that you need to adjust for.

Keep in mind the marks only work if your not changing the sprokets or chain.

Old 07-24-2006, 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: DMACK
Keep in mind the marks only work if your not changing the sprokets or chain.
Yeah, I just want to take the tire off for a gooood cleaning. So if I take the rear gear off the wheel and put it back on ( not change to a different one) I should be good with the original set up? There is so much gunk built up all over that back wheel, it needs a severe bath!

Old 07-25-2006, 09:17 AM

Use the marks on the swing arm or the spacer blocks. That is why they are there to help you align everything up. Good luck man

Old 04-26-2007, 08:24 PM

Sorry to revive a dead thread but it takes less space. My 900rr wont let me have its axle. I ran out of room to be somewhat forceful when it went flush with the swingarm and my block of wood was rendered useless. Now it just wont move! it turns rather freely but it just wont come out! Any ideas or suggestion i need to get this figured out! Oh i also want to redo all the bearings in the rear what does that require? Thanks in advance!

Garrett

P.S. First ever wheel removal by this owner if that helps

Old 04-26-2007, 09:18 PM

Try putting something under the tire that you can move the wheel up and down with (I use my foot). Wigglethe wheel up and down while you pull the axel out. If that does not work, get a piece of a broom handle (smaller than the axel diameter) and drive it out.

When I did my rear wheel bearings, I used a punch, and a hammer. You may have to knock the inner tube, gently to one side, with the punch. Then drive the old bearing out, a little at a time, on each side, using the punch (preferably a long one). When you remove the old wheel bearings, grind the outsides of the races down so they slip in and out of the wheel, pretty easily. This way, you can use the old bearings to seat the new bearings in the wheel or cush drive.

Itwill help to download a manual somewhere, if you haven't already.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:25 PM

Yup that's where i went to first but its "Remove the axle" didn't help me out all that much. I'll try wiggling more this time and tell ya how i do! Im now doubting ill get out this weekend [:@]Well atleast i'll be safe again!