CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Pops outa gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 02:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pops outa gear

Hello all,
I just bought a 95 900 RR for my brother so I would have someone to ride with more often...It was supposed to have only 1000 miles on trans and motor rebuild. I took it for a ride today for the first time and i didnt stick it in first, but i did hammer down in second and around 7-8,000 it popped out of gear, and continues to do that in the upper rpm band, I havent got on it like that in any other gear yet beacuse I want to go thru the bike before i go any faster than that and make sure the wheels arent going to fall off lol.

I was wondering if anyone knows what this is? I have been told bent shift fork...but I know the clutch needs to be adjusted, is there any chance im going to get lucky and not have to have the case split?

Thanks in advance,
Eddie

Old 07-27-2006, 09:23 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Pops outa gear

I'm sorry to tell you this but ya, bent or worn shift forks. You'll have to split the cases to change 'em out. 2nd gear is always the first one to let loose. If you wanna look at the bright side if you do the work yourself it's not all that expensive: parts prolly $125 - $175 to change 'em all and you and your bro can pop a few cold brewski's and turn some wrenches.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:21 PM

Urghhhhh! Thats what I was afraid of. I think (if its possible) he's just going to live with it until the end of the season. Will waiting like that cause any further dammage?
Thanks much for the response,
Eddie

Old 09-03-2006, 12:08 AM

I feel for you and your brother. I just got my 95 cbr 900 a few months ago and had the same issue. I almost killed myself going aroung a corner. The parts costed me $450 buck and the labor was 550. the bill in the end was 1200 bucks. I though at first that it was the cluch but it was not. I needed 2nd /3rd/6th gear. They all work together. I also need that shifting fork and the main shaft. Will it hurt the bike? Well I would not worry about the bike its more your brother. Its hard to say off the gas and "be Good". I hope this help you, feel free to ask for more info.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:35 PM

you shouldn't have to split the cases to change shift forks. you should be able to reach them through the bottom of the motor. you can even leave the motor in.

remove mids and lowers
remove exhaust
remove oil pan
remove clutch cover
remove clutch and flywheel
remove shift lever (left side)
slide out shift shaft (from clutch side)
remove bolts for shift drum
remove shift fork shaft (slide hand up through bottom of motor to catch shift forks).
replace new parts
if 2nd gear is "popping out" it is the L shift fork. you can get away with just changing that one, but since you're already there might as well change the other 2. also, i recommend changing the shift fork shaft as well. i've seen some bend before.

really no big deal. last time i did it on my RR it took me about 2hrs start to finish. it was less than $200 for all 3 shift forks, shift fork shaft, and all gaskets(oil pan, clutch cover, oil strainer, and pressure relief valve o-ring).

hope this helps.....

Old 09-04-2006, 12:10 AM

I agree.. you do not have to split the case to change out the forks. i just did this myself on my 954. i had a 4th gear shift fork bent. i had the same symptoms that you described. I highly suggest you get a maintenance manual before you attempt to do this yourself. You can find these on cd-rom on ebay for around 5 bucks. I am experianced in engine overhaul so it wasn't a problem for me but if you arent ,you're looking at over $1,000 in labor and parts at a shop. Good luck!

Old 09-04-2006, 08:18 PM

This is all good info, I shop that did my work did not have to split the case but the did charge me 8 hour labor + parts. once the work is dont its all worth it.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:54 AM

i would also check the dogs on the gear that keeps popping out. it could be that it's worn badly and that could also be what's causing it to pop out of gear. if you see a lot of taper wear on the end of the dogs then they might be the culprit.

good luck man

Old 10-09-2006, 10:35 PM

I ot 2 manuals. Haynes and Clymer. They both coverthe bike.
If yopu need me to look something up you know what to do.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:56 AM

Everybodys got goo and accurate advice. I just want to add one thing: upon checking the shift forks and gear dogs, also check the shift detent. This is a spring loaded mechanism that primarily aids in shifting into gear and keeping it in gear. Most likely its the fork, but dont overlook a simple part like the detent.

Quick Reply: Pops outa gear