CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Plastics...new, fix, or Shark Skins?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastics...new, fix, or Shark Skins?

Last month I low sided my '99. Right side is all kinds of f**ckered up. Now I need plastics to replace. I need to research my options on getting new, fixing, or maybe going the all one piece Shark Skin route. I'm throwing this out to see what others have done, are going to do, or what to do if this was your situation.

The damage? We're looking at 3 parts here. The bucket, the middle cowl, and the lower cowl. The bucket is cracked from the headlamp to the edge (like a tear). Middle and lower and really road rashed.

Do I look into....

1. internet for OEM replacements (ebay and the like, so far around the neighborhood of $650)
2. Fix, repair, redo my originals. (Have to pay for this...I don't know if I have the time or ability or do the job)Which means, fix,prep,paint, new decals (?$).
3. Buy a prep-ready one piece Shark Skin ($235), and pay for the paint and decals (?$).

I'm starting to calculate these options to see which one warrants the best price, deal, and overall way to go. So I thought I'd throw this out there to see others ideas, opinions and what not. I'm option to suggestions, places to look, links, info....whatever. A fun winter project, woohooo!