CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Plastic/ Bolt hanger broke, fixable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic/ Bolt hanger broke, fixable?

'99
On the throttle side, lower plastic cowl, the middle bolt hanger is broke off. I have the piece, can that be welded back on/together? Seems to have snapped in half due to a previous spill.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Plastic/ Bolt hanger broke, fixable?

It can be done with some epoxy. Tie it first with some thin wire, secure it and apply the epoxy.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the help! But actually, I dont think I describe the bracket correctly. The hanger is metal (or magnesium) and was originally mold on or from the engine block. It allows you to fasten the lower plastic to it by way of the bolt. The hanger is L shaped and is snapped in half. One half is from the engine block, the other half had the bolt threaded thru it, attached to the plastic which is now just hanging there not secure.

Does the epoxy method still apply? I was reading your answer as, you thought I was talking about a plastic to plastic fix.
If not, and epoxy is the answer, thank you and I'm an idiot hahahaa.

I was wondering if this is a welding solution. Can you do that on these engine blocks, re-weld broke off peices?

Old 02-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my engine cover had a hole during the engine overheated 6 months ago. The foreman had applied metal type epoxy and patch the hole. no problem.

not very sure though the type of the epoxy but maybe you can check it out in the internet.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:41 PM

Depending on the epoxy..you can fix just about anything.. I broke my footpeg hanger..and used some of the industrial marine stuff that I have laying around in the office and it was up to the job, and worked for a few days of riding around town, before I ripped it all apart and had it TIG welded so I can stand up on the pegs without fear...

Welding is the best option, but in such a non critical area as you describe, epoxy will get the job done..

CJ

Old 02-20-2008, 04:05 PM

Im not sure of what piece you're talking about without seeing a picture but here's something that might help you, if not now maybe in the future. I had to replace my oil pan but the new one had one of the aluminum fairing mounts that extend from the oil pan broken off. I used some tin foil to mold the piece from the good one and put it on the broken piece and filled my nice alumium mold with JB weld. After it dried I drilled the hole for the fairing mount and it's like new. Here's a pic for clarification, hope it helps your situation in some way.

This is what it was supposed to look like, but this little hanger piece was broken off (this is what I used to mold it)

Here's the oil pan with my tin foil mold and the JB weld curing. I later drilled this part and used my dremel to shape it like the one above.

Since that was not a high stress part it's been holding strong for quite a long time and the piece was completely rebuilt with just JB weld. The heat from the pan does not affect it at all.