CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Ok my next question.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 10:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ok my next question.....

So going through and looking for all the misc bolts and brackets that I may be missing or need to replace for my bike and came across this. I looked it up and found out what it was but what I would like to know is the sealing bolt actually needed for mechanical reasons or can I place tape or a shorter bolt in there till I get a OEM (like) replacement without causing any issues?

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag364/WilliePete/CBR%20troubleshooting/A083D703-D7C2-4AB6-A40A-01B737B5E24E_zpsidac0nzu.jpg

Old 06-19-2014, 11:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

there is very little oil in that area, but there is oil!
i think alittle bit of duck tape and a small zip tie will get you by for a week or two..
just dont make a mess out of it.. just tear off a piece 3/4 by one inch, cover it and secure it with the zip tie or maybe a metal tie..
the funny thing is : these nine hundreds have seen plenty of duct tape and plastic zip ties on them through the years as a permanent fix.. thats something i wouldn't suggest..
jay

Old 06-22-2014, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Jason here, there is oil there but as a TEMPORARY fix duct tape is fine haha. Welcome to the forum btw.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:54 PM

Thanks for the info! I have a temporary fix of tin foil with transparent tape for stability zip tied into place. Unfortunately for me I haven't been able to ride it much due to weather and other maintenance/safety issues I came accross.

I'm looking to do a fork seal replacement and need to get the front end up or atleast hold the front end in place once I get the front wheel off. I picked this motorcycle lift (only used twice) up from my neighbor for $20. It's not really designed for sport bikes in my opinion because the only real place to lift from would be the oil pan which I would think is a big No-No. But I have seen some other comments saying it's ok. Just looking for other opinions / options / suggestions on this....

Name:  4B886CD1-8959-4E8E-9A1E-19AC8F298BD7_zpsvdf6h9te.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  85.9 KB

Old 07-23-2014, 07:25 AM

well actually it lifts up from from under the oil pan area but actually pushes up on the exhaust so if your exhaust is properly bolted up yes it is fine and you wont have problems..
i have three no four ways of picking my bikes off the ground and that jack you have is my favorite way because once its up i use ratchet straps to lock it in.. check out the picture..i only wish i paid twenty for mine..
Name:  01b44bdc-c2ee-4e55-8923-6a3f870ca927_zps9d5ee597.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  129.6 KB

Old 07-23-2014, 07:44 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a place with overhead I-beams you can suspend the front end with some ropes. That's what I did when I removed the forks and overhauled the headset bearings on mine.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
If you have a place with overhead I-beams you can suspend the front end with some ropes. That's what I did when I removed the forks and overhauled the headset bearings on mine.
and thats another way,
i do it similar if im working in the basement having an ibeam over head, but instead i use two come alongs which i just ratchet up..
and it allows me to be able to remove everything including my exhaust..
but in pinch i just use the floor jack.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:46 PM

Thanks for the info! I don't have a garage so no overhead lifting points unless I build something to work. Also would have to take the bike done to almost nothing to get it into the basement (no easy access).

JC- Do you have a picture of a closer view of the contact points of the bike and lift by chance. Your pick helps a lot but was curious about a closer look. No biggie if you don't.

Last edited by WilliePete; 07-24-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:28 PM

By chance anyone have any extra plastics laying around they wouldn't mind getting rid of??

I'm looking for the cover set for the tail light and the center cover piece (rear lock) behind the passenger seat.

I would even take cracked or broken. I have already fixed some of my current plastics that were cracked or broken.

Last edited by WilliePete; 07-25-2014 at 12:58 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:35 PM

i've been a little bit under the weather myself and havnt been on the computer..
ill take some snaps later, but i will say shooting off the hip just use common sense..
my come-alongs have really large hooks that can really be placed anywhere..
i would just wouldnt put them on anything that could break or scratch..
but like i said ill throw some pictures up later, they are of my 94 thats getting ready for a make over in the next month or so..

Quick Reply: Ok my next question.....