CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

New owner! 1998 Honda CBR 900RR - Questions and Opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner! 1998 Honda CBR 900RR - Questions and Opinions needed

Well, I officially bought a 1998 Honda CBR 900RR for $1500 w/ 18k miles and a few upgrades. The guy I bought it from is a avid bike owner and has about 8 other bikes.

The only thing that this bike needs is to assembly all the plastic parts, a new paint job and the carb jets to be cleaned, which I believe I can handle. The chain has been replaced, forks and suspension are fine, new grips and a few other things.

My question for you guys is:
1. Is there any problems I should be aware of or fix one time?
2. What are the basic modifications do you guys recommend to make the bike safer (not faster)
3. Do you think I should do just a rattle can white job? This will be the first bike I OWNED. I have been riding my uncle's 1996 250R to learn on. I figured it would eventually go down and rather have a cheap job now then an expensive one.
4. Is there a book that I can snag on how to disassemble/repair this exact bike?

I know people are probably going to lecture me on getting a smaller power bike but I have been riding a while. Also I am 6'5, 320lbs so yeah, I needed something with a little zip (not too much though). My plans are to drive it around my neighborhood (close private community) to get use to it and eventually work up to driving it around town in a month or so. I am in no rush. The bike just offers something for me to switch up between my other two cars (1996 Toyota Supra and Galant VR4) and will get minor modifications at best to the motor. I plan to mainly do cosmetic upgrades and possibly a swing arm (good or bad idea).

I will post up some pictures tomorrow of the bike.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:11 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome & congrats on the new bike!!!

One thing you should keep an eye out is the fork seals, mine gave at 22k...other than that...I love these bike.

As long as you respect it's power, and always gear up for protection, you'll be fine. If you have not taken MSF course, it's highly recommended.

Love to see some pics....

Originally Posted by alansupra94
Well, I officially bought a 1998 Honda CBR 900RR for $1500 w/ 18k miles and a few upgrades. The guy I bought it from is a avid bike owner and has about 8 other bikes.

The only thing that this bike needs is to assembly all the plastic parts, a new paint job and the carb jets to be cleaned, which I believe I can handle. The chain has been replaced, forks and suspension are fine, new grips and a few other things.

My question for you guys is:
1. Is there any problems I should be aware of or fix one time?
2. What are the basic modifications do you guys recommend to make the bike safer (not faster)
3. Do you think I should do just a rattle can white job? This will be the first bike I OWNED. I have been riding my uncle's 1996 250R to learn on. I figured it would eventually go down and rather have a cheap job now then an expensive one.
4. Is there a book that I can snag on how to disassemble/repair this exact bike?

I know people are probably going to lecture me on getting a smaller power bike but I have been riding a while. Also I am 6'5, 320lbs so yeah, I needed something with a little zip (not too much though). My plans are to drive it around my neighborhood (close private community) to get use to it and eventually work up to driving it around town in a month or so. I am in no rush. The bike just offers something for me to switch up between my other two cars (1996 Toyota Supra and Galant VR4) and will get minor modifications at best to the motor. I plan to mainly do cosmetic upgrades and possibly a swing arm (good or bad idea).

I will post up some pictures tomorrow of the bike.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:53 PM

Had to do fork seals on mine also. And of course I had the reg/ rec go bad .stator also had to be replaced . After that bike ran like champ . As far as safety goes make sure you put your mirrors back on and install all signal lights.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by estate4life
Welcome & congrats on the new bike!!!

One thing you should keep an eye out is the fork seals, mine gave at 22k...other than that...I love these bike.

As long as you respect it's power, and always gear up for protection, you'll be fine. If you have not taken MSF course, it's highly recommended.

Love to see some pics....
I will definitely check the seals.

Are forks/suspension interchangeable with other bikes?

Originally Posted by roadrash789
Had to do fork seals on mine also. And of course I had the reg/ rec go bad .stator also had to be replaced . After that bike ran like champ . As far as safety goes make sure you put your mirrors back on and install all signal lights.
Will do.