CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

New(to me) 1993 Honda Cbr900rr

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New(to me) 1993 Honda Cbr900rr

This Honda came into my hands last weekend. It was sitting in a backyard for 2-3 years, showed very little love during that time period. I got it home last Saturday and cleaned the exterior up, polished the pipe, cleaned and waxed the plastics, put atleast 5 hours of work into cleaning it since Sunday. The bike has 29,000 miles on it. I'm fairly new to streetbikes, so please correct me if I have anything wrong, and feel free to give me any input. Needs some work, but I can't wait to ride it!

Aftermarket:
Full Two brothers exhaust
Stealth high end sprocket
Sbs brakes

Uninstalled:
K&N? Ram air intake

Bling:
Carbon fiber turn signals
Anodized gold front foot pegs & tank screws
Pro Grip, grips
Smoked Speed Screen Windshield
LP Tank Bra
LP Racing Brake fluid cover

Old 05-18-2011, 04:23 PM

The bike needs to be gone through.

-Needs new rear tire to pass inspection. Any suggestions on which tires to buy? (I plan on doing both front and back)

-Gas needs to be changed, and it needs an oil change.

-Needs license plate light to pass inspection. (Plan on wiring up an LED light for that)

-I would like to get the aftermarket air filter installed, and rejet the bike for that and the pipe. (Was never rejetted when the pipe was put on) Stage 1, 2 or 3 jet kit? Any recommendations?

-Both the RPM guage and MPH guage need to be fixed, neither are working.

-Tank had clear coat flaking off. I got most of the loose stuff off and waxed it so I should be fine for what it's worth to fix.

I would like to buy:
Gold clutch and front brake levers
Gold bar ends, maybe new grips if their easy to put on?
Gold rear foot pegs
Gold wind shield bolts

Old 05-18-2011, 08:43 PM

I've got Metzler Sportec M3 tires and really like them.

I highly recomend SeaFoam when you change the fuel out. Its amazing stuff.

I also have the tag bolts with built in LED's. They work really well and look good.

The speedo is mechanical so if the cable is good, you may need a new speedo head.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:09 AM

Nice bike, I have the same LP gear on my 92 blade
I like the Conti-Attacks, they handle well and I get great mileage out of them. I tour through the mountains alot and have found them to be one of the better tires for that purpose.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by River
Nice bike, I have the same LP gear on my 92 blade
I like the Conti-Attacks, they handle well and I get great mileage out of them. I tour through the mountains alot and have found them to be one of the better tires for that purpose.
That would probably benifit me living up here in Massachusetts.

Front of the bike

Old 05-19-2011, 12:10 PM

Congratulations on your new bike. I've had mine since March '92 and still going strong after all these years.

A few suggestions:
--Gas: SeaFoam or Gunk are great. Use StarTron as a stabilizer for winter storage (former Mass resident here)
-- Tires: Metzler Sportec M3 or Bridgestone BT016. From the riding you describe, the Metzeler is probably best.
-- Air Filter: BMC air filter. Be sure to check the small foam subfilter (a small black box to the rear and under the air box) the foam element degrades and bits and pieces can end up in your carbs.
-- Carbs: If the bike sat for that long, I suggest removing, disassembling and cleaning the carbs. You can rejet in the process :-)
-- Jetting: Try the FactoryPro Std Kit. It will improve performance with your pipe, not too expensive and easy to do. CBR900, Honda, EC997a Eddy Current Dynamometer
-- Brake Fluid: Flush (a couple of times) and replace the brake fluid
-- Brake Pads: Check and if necessary replace. I've tried a few brands and have settled on EBC HH
-- Brake Lines: Check for cracking. I've replaced mine with Galfer Stainless Steel brake lines. Others like HEL and Spiegler are great as well. Vastly improved the feel of the brakes.
-- Head bearings: I'd check for any binding. Probably good to inspect the bearings and at least re-grease them
-- Levers: Pazzo, CRG, ASV are all great levers. But all of them, and others possibly as well, may present a problem in that they will likely hit the side of the speedo when you go full right lock because they are wider than stock.
-- Chain: Check and lube
-- Chain guard: You may want to consider getting a chain guard (look in ebay.) Without it, you're going to get lube sprayed in all directions. You can still find huggers for the 93-97 models. Try PowerBronze for that Powerbronze UK International - Home
-- Speedo and Tach: Both are mechanical, so check the cables

For OEM parts, try Ron Ayers: Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>1993>CBR900RR

or

BikeBandit: 1993 Honda CBR900RR Parts, 1993 Honda CBR900RR OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

I am partial to Ron Ayers even though BikeBandit is local to me.

For gold bolts (or other) try Pro-Bolt: http://www.probolt-usa.com/ -- What I usually do is look up the bolt sizes in the parts fiche at Ron Ayers and look for those sizes at Pro-Bolt. For the windscreen, I replaced the original Honda rivets with M4x12mm dome head bolts and M4 x 0.5mm fine pitch Brass Insert Rubber Nut

Also, try ColorRite for touch up paint if you need it - they have the Ross White and Real Blue of the '93 (NH196 color code)

Enjoy your new bike.

--848SD

Last edited by 848SD; 05-19-2011 at 08:50 PM.