CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

my bike wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 01:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fuel filter is inside the tank- it's more like a screen. if you take a wrench and loosen the large nut to remove the petcock, it will be around the two inlet tubes.

Also, I'm afraid the large hose on the airbox might not be an issue that's affecting you. I suspect intake plugs/hoses underneath the carbs, or the hoses in between them if it's a california model.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:58 AM

I check those hoses allready i think those going to into one concetor and both go straigh up to the petcock rigth,i take those out allready and they fine ,where is the intake plug/hoses u said underneath the carbs are they arround the starter?or i need to take the whole airbox to look at those hoses?thanks

Old 08-17-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by willie72
I check those hoses allready i think those going to into one concetor and both go straigh up to the petcock rigth,i take those out allready and they fine ,where is the intake plug/hoses u said underneath the carbs are they arround the starter?or i need to take the whole airbox to look at those hoses?thanks
Best to take the lower part of the airbox off to inspect those hoses. Once it's off, you can look right below the circular clamps and rubber intake boots. There is usually a brass barb with a vacuum hose going to the petcock on the number 1 cyl, then a plug screwed into the number 2 port. Number 3 and 4 have brass barbs also, either going to the smog acc'ys, or with rubber caps on them.
They are literally less than an inch under the carbs. Sometimes diagnosis is a pain in the butt, but so is an engine that won't run right!!!

Old 08-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Unhappy

update about my bike i put everything back on and samething,the only way it start is open the trothle and when i l;et go it dies,i asked someone at the cycle shop who do job by mobile,he said that it sound my carbs are clogged but still need to look at it first and then make sure what the problem,easy 300bucks so lets see .

Old 08-18-2011, 05:13 PM

welll another bad day,the guy came and try fix my bike,he put some startin spray and starts ok then he said it need the carbs be cleaning so he did it ,after he try to start the engine and he couldn make the bike run at all,it was spitting only and never starts,he check the spark p[lugs and all that and still no luck,he said everything is fine and he think is the brain(the compiuter under the seat)it send the signal on and off,now i got new plugs,new oil,the carbs are cleanand the bike now even dont start even with the trothle open,what u think guys,i suposed to pay 300 he loweer becos he didnt make it run,im wonder waht really its,today he will do reserch about it and see if its the brain or the stator,any sugestion fellas.my battery drain becos we keep trying and trying but it didnt happeneed so what i do next.?thanks

Old 08-24-2011, 10:31 PM

some updates about my bike,now its running,i took it to the shop and they clean the carbs again and they said all the injets were loose becos the other dude who cleand them he didnt tigth them up,also the float bowls were installed wrong so now it runs nice and clean i fell it ,start rigth up after i push the ignition,i drove it and seem stronger than b4.thanks fellasss

Old 09-11-2022, 01:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas not getting into carbs ??

Originally Posted by willie72
welll another bad day,the guy came and try fix my bike,he put some startin spray and starts ok then he said it need the carbs be cleaning so he did it ,after he try to start the engine and he couldn make the bike run at all,it was spitting only and never starts,he check the spark p[lugs and all that and still no luck,he said everything is fine and he think is the brain(the compiuter under the seat)it send the signal on and off,now i got new plugs,new oil,the carbs are cleanand the bike now even dont start even with the trothle open,what u think guys,i suposed to pay 300 he loweer becos he didnt make it run,im wonder waht really its,today he will do reserch about it and see if its the brain or the stator,any sugestion fellas.my battery drain becos we keep trying and trying but it didnt happeneed so what i do next.?thanks
My bf has this same issue going on with his bike. At first he thought it was a small hole in gas tank so he took it off & sealed it all up good. Then he put a new petcock on it & just rebuilt carb last night. Still wont start. It starts with starter fluid but instantly dies. He says gas is getting to the carbs but not in the carbs. Any ideas? 98 CBR 900rr

Old 09-11-2022, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Hello @JessiJuju and welcome to the forum. So, carburetors being clogged is a common issue. What is the history on the bike? How long since it's been running properly?

Old 09-11-2022, 11:19 PM
Received 392 Likes on 354 Posts

"Cleaning" carbs isn't just spraying carb cleaner through carbs and calling good. Needs complete refurb with disassembly down to every last nut, bolt and individual part. Everything scrubbed with brushes and PEA-based fuel-system cleaner (including hidden secret passages in carb-body). Spray carb-cleaners no longer work due to removal of chlorinated compounds. Then ultrasonic soak everything. Micro soda-blast at very end to clean up. Adjust float levels with final wet-test. Replace all rubbers: fuel-rail O-rings, pilot screw O-rings, float-valves, float-bowl seals, and slide diaphragms if needed. Sync carbs and adjust idle.

Bike ran perfectly fine when leaving showroom floor. It will again when carbs are restored to factory-fresh clean. Different bike model, but all Keihin CV carbs are similar.

That's a lot of work and requires lots of experience and equipment. I just send my carbs to this outfit for refurb every winter when I'm overhauling my race bike. Since I run in stock class, restoring carbs to factory-fresh condition is one of "mods" that make HUGE difference compared to others running with clogged carbs causing stumbling and revving laziness.

https://customcarbservices.com

Last edited by dannoxyz; 10-27-2022 at 04:20 AM.
Old 09-12-2022, 01:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
Hello @JessiJuju and welcome to the forum. So, carburetors being clogged is a common issue. What is the history on the bike? How long since it's been running properly?
Thank you. He got the bike on a trade a few years ago. It ran good at first, but then it would randomly start "cutting out" and die while riding. Not sure if it was a coincidence or not, but it seemed that when he would fill up gas tank, this would happen the next time riding. If i remember correctly... i think he turned the idle up at some point and it seemed to run better. Then it sat in storage for a year. He got it out this year, tried to take a ride & it cut out & died about a mile up the road. The next time he rode it about 25 miles before it died, but he also filled up the tank before riding. He was able to let it set for few mins and then it would eventually start and he would get a little farther down the road before it would die again. Did this about 5x before we made it back home, which was only about 3-4 miles. Day or so later he noticed the paint on gas tank had bubbled, so he figured it had hole and maybe had something to do with it not running right. He took it off and sealed it & put new petcock on it because it had been leaking gas also. Put it back together and wouldnt start. So he ordered a carb rebuild kit & did all that & put it back together and still wont start.

Quick Reply: my bike wont start.