CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Mods????

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008 | 04:04 PM
Default Mods????

Hey everyone! I just bought my first sport bike. I have ridden cruisers the last 3 years and I couldn't get the urge out of my system to get a sport bike. I couldn't be happier. Because I'm a broke college kid and didn't know if I would enjoy a sport bike, I didn't kill myself with an expensive bike. I got a 1998 CBR900RR. It was an exceptionally maintained bike. Right now, it has M4 exhaust on it and that is the only thing that I am aware of aftermarket. The problem is that I have a sickness, everytime I get a bike I have to trick it out. Anyone have tips on the most cost effective aftermarket parts to get the maximum out of my bike? This thing screams already, at least compared to the Shadow 750 I had before, but it's never enough. Is this normal? Maybe I should go to to some sort of a support group.

Old 05-05-2008 | 06:14 PM
Default RE: Mods????

Congrats on your first Crotch Rocket, you won't be disappointed with a 900RR. If I may though, I think that you should get a bit more seat time with the stock horsepower before looking into upping the power. I am not trying to talk down to ya but this is a different game then any cruiser, and you might think you have it in hand but these bikes can really surprise you. The 98' already has exceptional power and you might just want to get a few months in the seat before you decide your bored. Its normal to want to up the power, your a man, but there is a fine line when it comes to these machines. If you want better acceleration look into changing the sprocket tooth ratios. This will make a huge difference without messing around with the engine yet, its simple and quick and if the chain is low mileage you can usually just change the sprockets. These bike comes with 16-43 stock, and I run 15-45 which makes the bike much quicker. Also this corrects the speedo error almost perfectly. Count the teeth on yours and look at your right and compare it to specs to see what has been changed. When your bored with pulling second gear power wheelies there are Jet Kits and igntion advancers that will really get your bike moving. Basically just take it slow and your gonna be much safer. Hope you enjoy the CBR, you made a real good choice.

Old 05-05-2008 | 06:29 PM
Bo

yeah 900FighterRR is right. don't mess with the engine til you have some seat time. but as far as mods you can trick it out with a f4i gauge set. that will make it look better and an 03-04 gsxr tail

http://www.rrzone.com/forums/showthr...f4i+gauges+900

http://www.rrzone.com/forums/showthr...ght=gixer+tail

Old 05-05-2008 | 06:58 PM

Thanks guys! It really helps a lot with a place to start. I wasn't planning on doing anything too dramatic yet. To be quite honest, I'm still affraid of this thing. I haven't taken it up much past 8000 RPM's because it's just stupid how much torque it has. But man is it an incredible ride.

Old 05-05-2008 | 07:22 PM
Bo

you speaking of alot of tourqe it may have already been regeared you should ck and see. Is the frontend comin up easy in the top of 1st?

Old 05-05-2008 | 07:33 PM

The front end starts to come up right about the 8,000 rpm mark, that's why I don't take it much past that.

Old 05-05-2008 | 07:38 PM
Bo

lol it scares the hell out of you doesn't it?

Old 05-05-2008 | 08:11 PM

Like no other before.

Old 05-05-2008 | 08:56 PM

Dude, you want to mod the thing and you havn't even redlined it yet? Oh boy, you really don't know what your in for. Give that try with plenty of straight road in front of you and then give the shifter a sharp snap up right when you run out of revs (no clutch necassary) and come back and tell me you still want to mod the thing. Your nuts are gonna be somewhere up in your stomache and you might have trouble getting the **** eating grin off your face for a few hours. Take it slow my friend, its tempting to mod but you got a lot to experience first. Like I said check out the stock specs and see whats already been changed, or call the previous owner and get the list from him. Chances are that he installed a jet kit with that M4 because its about as free flowing as they come and it would make sense. When you can wind that thing up with confidence then your ready to up the HP. Good luck and take it slow and safe, most accidents happen to riders in the first 6 weeks on a sportbike!

Old 05-06-2008 | 12:13 AM

well my opinion is al the above except fo rthe tail section (bias because I make one)

But yea I have a cam advance, stage 3 jet kit, K&N, 2 bro full and about 8 K it will rise if you let it...but you learn how to calm her down now mine well she like to rise at about 9500 and she lets me know who the boss is...

Good choice for a bike I love mine and you will yours 2 and welcome to the double R comunity....

the other night after I had Jeremy at Adrenaline Performance in Mesa (Clearing throat) I raced a RC 51 and up the on ramp she lifted about a foot at 7k in first and stayed there into 3rd and then th sacriest **** happend to me ...I went across the white line to get on the Fway and she spunn hit rev limiter then she got back onto the asphalt and lifted to 10 oclock at something like 100 or so ( igot allot more grey hairs now)

Quick Reply: Mods????