CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

float cover leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default float cover leak

Hi there

My bike has been smelling like fuel for about 2 days now. Yesterday I though it may have been because I filled her up to the brim. Then today I smelled the fuel as stong as the day before. I stuck my hand underneath and felt the carbs as I noticed a little wetness on my stator cover and I felt fuel around my pilot skrew and that small valve at the bottom of my float cover. This is all when the bike is cold and switched off. I opened the carbs today and saw that my float seem fine. I suspect that it could be the rubber lining of my float bowl cover because the rubber is a little flat and is not creating the barrier between the two metal pieces and is causing the fuel to run down the pilot skrew. Wait lemme check again......(tick, tock)......(tick, tock)......, yep, its on the other side of the pilot skrew, actually its on teh entire other side of the float cover, so it is the rubber lining of the float bowl that is not creating the seal that it used to.

I read somewhere that someone found a way of soaking the rubber in some solvent and made it expand. I for the life of me cant remember how to do it.

Does anyone know of what I can do besides buying a float bowl cover to make the rubber expand to create the seal that the rubber used to be?

Old 04-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Default RE: float cover leak

When my carbs started leaking, it was actually the rubber seals that sit just on either side of the T-joint between both banks. If you follow the main fuel line, you'll see it split off when it reaches the carbs--and at the end of those two lines, you'll see a plastic T-joint that once more splits fuel delivery into each carb. It was pretty simple to gently pull apart each outer carb from the bank, unplug the joints, and replace the washers (and for sure replace all the existing lines with fuel-grade rubber--you'll be amazed at how stiff and leaky the old OEM lines feel).

If none of this applies to you, then a set of bowl gaskets appears to be $25-30 US. Part number for a package of four is 16010-MW0-600. And on the MW0 part, it's a zero, not an 'oh'. Hope this helps, cause I have no idea how to revive compressed gaskets...I'm sorry.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:32 PM

High SpiritRR

Thanks for the info, I will definately check out what you said. Both of those points could be a possibility so I cant count anything out. I think in my case it is the compressed float bowl gaskets but I'll check the T-Joint out as well.

Thanks again, will give feedback when the problem is solved.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:27 AM

Hi guys and girls

I'm dropping in to say that I fixed the problem. I just replaced the #1 float cover gasket and cleaned my float needles. Put everything back together and not a sausage of fuel dripping anywhere. i took her for a spin after that and let her sit overnight to cool and no fuel leaks so far ("touch wood").

Thanks again for the help SpiritRR