CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Engine problem - What to try next?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What size unit (gallons/liters or tank dimensions) did you decide on? I'm leaning towards a 15L unit (with internal dimensions of 13"x12"x6"). Seems like that would hold (2) 38mm Keihin's + their parts. Also, do you use cleaning solutions specifically for ultrasonic carb cleaning or simply a degreaser like Simple Green?
Thanks!

Old 04-03-2019, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 313 Likes on 257 Posts

I got mine from Harbor Freight and am very pleased with it.
It's not something that I use on a regular basis so I didn't want to spend $$$$ on it. It does the job well.
To test it I got some carbs as clean as I could using the traditional method. Then I placed them in the cleaner and was surprised how much residual stuff still came out.
I've used a variety of things but stick with simple green or krud kutter usually.

Old 04-03-2019, 02:34 PM

I've read several instances of people using the Harbor Freight one with good results. That's good to hear how effective they are. I thought after cleaning, soaking, and blowing everything through with air, that they *had* to be clean. It will be interesting to see just how clean (or not) these carbs really are. The shop I spoke with who suggested ultrasonic cleaning also used simple green. Bet they do smell nice after.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Morning matey , glad you've invested in one of those, really deep clean and you'll see the difference

Old 04-10-2019, 02:02 PM

Still waiting on delivery of an ultrasonic cleaner. I borrowed a Harbor Freight unit from a friend, but it has a very small tank (2.5L). It was recommended to me (by a bike shop) that I clean for an extended amount of time (3+ hours) due to the nature of my issue. The size of the HF unit appeared that the entire carb would not be able to be cleaned in one go (have to flip or rotate and do additional cleaning cycles.) The prospect of having to do that for 4 carbs convinced me to acquire a larger unit. (I bought a 15L model).

*Really* anxious to receive it and see what it can do. The only other question is cleaning fluid which there are a LOT of opinions on. After a lot of reading, I decided to start with "Krud Kutter Parts Washer". Fingers crossed...

Old 04-10-2019, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 313 Likes on 257 Posts

Good luck to you. There are threads on here where people have boiled their carbs with Pine-Sol and some with lemon juice. I'm sure either one would smell interesting.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:39 PM

Thanks! Yeah, I've read people using everything from dish soap to solvents (definitely not a good idea unless you have an explosion-proof cleaner). Simple Green & Simple Green Pro seem popular. There are some really expensive "especially for ultrasonic cleaner" solutions as well. Not sure how important the solution is (if at all) as opposed to the mechanical ultrasonic action. I chose Krud Kutter because it appears to do a good job just in a parts washer (non-ultrasonic), and specifically mentions being suitable for ultrasonic cleaners.

However, I bet you're right about using household cleaners ... probably leaves the carbs smelling pretty fresh!

Old 04-10-2019, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MM900RR
Still waiting on delivery of an ultrasonic cleaner. I borrowed a Harbor Freight unit from a friend, but it has a very small tank (2.5L). It was recommended to me (by a bike shop) that I clean for an extended amount of time (3+ hours) due to the nature of my issue. The size of the HF unit appeared that the entire carb would not be able to be cleaned in one go (have to flip or rotate and do additional cleaning cycles.) The prospect of having to do that for 4 carbs convinced me to acquire a larger unit. (I bought a 15L model).

*Really* anxious to receive it and see what it can do. The only other question is cleaning fluid which there are a LOT of opinions on. After a lot of reading, I decided to start with "Krud Kutter Parts Washer". Fingers crossed...
Hi you could have done a total dis-assembly ,but that might have been a step too far, those small sync springs are a bugger to get back in, you need three hands

Old 04-10-2019, 11:54 PM

I didn't think even a disassembled carb body would fully fit in the 2.5L ultrasonic cleaner. I had no illusion that the size cleaner I could afford would fit the full rack of four carbs. If I'm lucky though, perhaps 2 bodies will fit in the 15L unit.

Carb disassembly / reassembly was actually pretty straight forward (and that's what I'll probably do anyway to maximize cleaning potential.) But, like you said, those bloody little springs between the carbs... (I think I surprised the neighbors with my richly diverse and colorful vocabulary.)

Old 04-11-2019, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

Yes I would like a Cleaner myself, might even get one But up till then it's a breakdown and clean the best I can, but I make sure with new kits

Quick Reply: Engine problem - What to try next?