CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Do I need to torque cylinder-head?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 06:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need to torque cylinder-head?

About a year back I had the valves done on my bike. Head was removed and send to an engineering shop. Anyway It's now starting to leak oil at the head gasket on the left and right side of head. Actualy it could have been leaking for a while now because I could never see it under the fairing.

On some cars you have to re-torque the head after a few thousand km. Do you have to do the same on the CBR900 or did the shop just do a bad job and now it's leaking?

(Don't want to remove the full head just for a head gasket)

Old 03-03-2011, 12:06 PM

yes , it should be done in sequense , i beleive from the center out, 47Nm oiled

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...d-torques.html

Old 03-05-2011, 07:54 AM

So if I just remove the cam cover and talk the head bolts to 47Nm it might solve my oil leaking problem?

PS. What do you mean by oiled? (Do I have to take out all the bolts again and oil the threads?)

Old 03-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gerharddvs
So if I just remove the cam cover and talk the head bolts to 47Nm it might solve my oil leaking problem?

PS. What do you mean by oiled? (Do I have to take out all the bolts again and oil the threads?)
You can talk to them all you want but to do the job right you have to torque them.

Anyway, they say in order to get the right torque values you should apply oil to the threads so they will turn smoothly and you get a more accurate torque value. Don't just randomly torque the bolts. You have to follow a pattern or you can warp the head.

Also, they should be done in two stages, not just torque them down all the way the first time. Since yours is already assembled you might be able to skip that part.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:01 AM

Grammar typo lol
Anyway maybe I should just tighten them in the specified sequence with a torque wrench to the write value because to remove them is going to be a major job.

Is it possible to get access to the head bolts by just removing the cam cover without removing the cams cam-chain etc. because in that case I'd rather take it to the shop because I just don't have the time to strip the whole engine right now...