CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 04:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking noise

Hey There, i have a 92 RRN and i have a strange clicking noise, that appeers as i am riding the bike, it starts as i accelerate hard but eases of as the RPM gets above sort of 5000, its there through the gears, but not when the bike is stationary,
Any one have any idea?

Old 09-02-2008, 05:47 AM
Default RE: Clicking noise

When last was your chain thoroughly cleaned?

could be a wheel bearing as well. Where is the noise coming from, the rear or the front of the bike?

Old 09-02-2008, 12:34 PM

It’s definitely not the chain or any part of the final drive. The clicking sound appears to be coming from the front of the bike as opposed to the rear. And the noise seems to become noticeable at around 2500 – 3000 RPM and seems to completely disappears at around 6500 – 7000 RPM.
Also it sounds more like a plastic sound as opposed to a metallic one.
Been told it may be one of the exhaust header gaskets may be worn, the bike as been fitted with a complete micron exhaust system.?

Old 09-02-2008, 12:59 PM

you may need to change your fuel filter it could be restricting the fuel flow to the fuel pump and the fuel pump could be making the noise. i'm not to sure how loud it is but the fuel pump will make a clicking noise if it is trying to pump fuel thats not there(dry pumping).

Old 09-02-2008, 01:52 PM

hello i recently had the same noise on my bike i took it to a friend and it was indeed the chain i put wd40 all around then greased it with high temp grease it worked.... try that

Old 09-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Plastic sound huh? Might be from your helmet's visor, check it out. no j/k!

Trying to diagnose where an unwanted noise coming can be really a nuisance. Try to determine wheter the noise is coming from inside or outside the engine. Sometimes the noise can be there even you rev higher; its just you can't 'feel' it. If its not from the engine, the most common place to be the culprit can be from the front fairing where it is assembled together with the headlight and speedo. Check all the bolts.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:34 AM

Nice one Dinze, but I ruled the helmet out already. Lol
There is a little creaking and clunking coming from the fairing, but that’s not where the clicking sound is coming from.
Thought that rons93rr might have hit the nail on the head with the fuel pump clicking as a result of a partially blocked fuel filter, but sadly not the cause.
Its definitely not the chain or final drive, and I am fairly sure that it’s not anything inside the engine, as the sound only appears once you get above 2500 RPM and disappears around 6500 RPM, in fact when the bike is stationary or running under 2500 RPM or above 6500 RPM there is no noise at all and the bike performs, very well, at least as well as you would expect a 16 year old bike to run. The clicking noise does not affect the way the bike runs at all, it’s just bloody annoying lol.
I am away on a rally, in summerset this weekend, but on my return, I am going to inspect the bike a little closer, to see if I can find the source of the clicking, but at this stage I am going to go with the worn header gaskets and replace them as they are only £10 for a set.
Thank you for your input every one, and as soon as I find out what’s causing the annoying bloody noise, I will let you all know what it was.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:43 AM

I had the same thing 3 years ago. No noise at low rpm no noise at high rpm. Turns out to be the chain tentioner.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:44 AM

Sorry, the timing chain tentioner.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I had read the cam chain tensioner could be the culprit of the ticking noise as well. 'm having this ticking sound occasionally whenever the bike is idling after a run but as soon as I take out my helmet to inspect, the sound seems to disappear.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise