CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Chain ADJ question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006 | 12:32 AM
Default Chain ADJ question

Ok, my chain exceeds the 1.5" limit and I want to wait until the end of the season before I buy the sprockets and a new chain (chain ADJ is near limit of rear). If someone could please provide me with detailed instrustions, I'd greatly appreciate it since I've never had to do this on any bike before.

Just FYI, it's a 96 CBR900

THANKS!

Old 08-16-2006 | 01:15 AM
Default RE: Chain ADJ question

If its jus adjustment, loosen the axle nut just loose enough so that the axle still somewhat tight, but loose enough so that the adjuster bolts can move the wheel back. Back the bolts out evenly on both sides (or tighten if they are behind the axle). For replacement, you'll need a grinder or a chain breaker and a chain press tool. Remove the rear wheel completely. Either use your handheld grinder to grind the heads off of the two rivets on any one of the links so that the rivets are flush with the link. Use a screwdriver to pry or a hammer & punch to push the link apart so that with the link remove, you have one long chain. Remove the chain. Remove the 6 (I believe its six, maybe five) nuts holding the rear sprocket onto the rear wheel. Replace with the new sprocket and tighten to factory spec. Remove the front sprocket cover (usually two allen head bolts). Remove the sprocket nut (there may be a locking washer behind it with tabs you have to pry back). Remove the sprocket. Replace with new sprocket. Install rear wheel with new sprocket in place in swingarm and adjust your chain adjusters until you have about 1 or two marks to the left of the axle slider marker. Route the chain around rear sprocket and roll the wheel so that the chain goes to where the front sprocket will go. Route the chain around the front sprocket. Continue pulling the chain towards the rear wheel until the two ends of the chain meet somewhere at the back of the rear sprocket. Where the end link of the chain meets the chain, you will have to remove this link. Make sure you remove the right link so that you are left with two "open" links at the ends of the chain. This means that you will have open holes at each end. Install two of the x-rings onto the master link that is included with the chain. Grease the master link and install from behind the chain through the two holes, essentially creating a complete chain. Install the other two x-rings on the ends of the master link and press the link plate onto the ends, sandwiching the x-rings between the chain and the link plate. Continue pressing until the x-rings compress slightly (don't press too much or you will destroy the x-rings). With your chain press, use the rivet end to mushroom out the two ends of the master link to complete the chain installation. Now adjust your chain to proper tightness and reinstall the sprocket cover and you're done!

Old 08-16-2006 | 07:10 PM
Default RE: Chain ADJ question

Thanks for the detailed response!

-Ken